Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By tguyfr Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:54 pm
Hi there,
I'm playing with the Looper to get some kind of live resampling as on the Octatrack. The issue is the Looper starts playing at the end of the recording. is there a way to stop this auto playing after let say 2 bars of recording ? If no that's a pity because it completely screws up the Looper. I don't want to have two bars playing slightly out of phase in a live show. It would be ideal to assign the Looper to a dedicated audio track to route it easily, but the signal path isn't flexible enough.
By allreddv Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:36 am
The Looper is definitely one of the lesser flushed out functions of the Force, it is pretty limited in its functionality. I don't think there is a way to have it only run through once and then stop. There may be a way to accomplish what you are trying to do though. Could you detail more what you are trying to do?

Also, are you sampling from inputs or from resample? ( I don't like how Akai only allows resample from LR main, they should at least allow submixes to be as inputs and then you could route the instruments you want to the submix)

When you say phasing issues, are you referring to sound phasing (sound waves canceling out) or do you mean slightly out of time?

I am assuming you already synced the looper, not sure it would fix your issue but just making sure you know it can be synced to your clip timing in case you didn't know that.
By tguyfr Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:08 am
Thanks for your answer. The out of phase is more a slightly out of time as you said, but it also adds too much volume. If Akai could fix the Looper in the right way, it would be perfect :
- ability to choose any input and output
- record with no autoplay
- macro compatibility to use the crossfader for example
Hope it will be treated in the next updated, for now the Looper is screwed up, which is a pity.
By allreddv Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:04 pm
Completely agree with you about the added features to the looper. To be honest, for me it would just be better to abandon the looper and add the ability to audio overdub for audio track clips.

For the timing issue, can you just confirm for me that you have the looper synced to transport? Assuming you do, are you saying that on the playback the looper is not in correct time?

A few spitball ideas, but they could be totally wrong and not help at all.

1, Is it the looper out of time or are you playing into it a little off time since it doesn't have time correction and on playback you are able to notice the off time? I would test this by transferring the loop to and audio clip or drum pad and then play it back making sure there isn't any warping on. If it is still out of time then it is the playing that was out of time. If they are now in perfect timing then you will know for sure the looper itself is out time on playback.

2. The Volume issue you should be able to control with the output and input levels to make sure they are balanced to the sound level you are hearing while playing and then the recorded sound playback.

3. Along the output level thinking, would it work for you to have no output volume while you record in so no sound comes out? Essentially like it not auto playing the loop. Not ideal by any means, but maybe a work around?
By SakisX Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:37 pm
Maybe recording straight to a clip instead ? You simply create an empty clip with predefined length and disable loop (haven't tried one-shot recording but I guess it will work)
By allreddv Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:38 pm
As long as you are not looking to overdub that is 100% how to do it. The only issue with recording into audio clips is that you can't overdub. So if you record the clip and then want to add something you would need to record the whole clip again with all sounds that you want in one take. That is the advantage the looper offers, you can play more sounds each time it is looped and retain all sound information each time.

I record all my sounds directly to audio clips. But, when I said abandon the Lopper I was referring that I think Akai should abandon it and add overdubbing directly to audio clips. Would be a nice feature.
By SakisX Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:54 pm
allreddv wrote:As long as you are not looking to overdub that is 100% how to do it. The only issue with recording into audio clips is that you can't overdub. So if you record the clip and then want to add something you would need to record the whole clip again with all sounds that you want in one take. That is the advantage the looper offers, you can play more sounds each time it is looped and retain all sound information each time.

I record all my sounds directly to audio clips. But, when I said abandon the Lopper I was referring that I think Akai should abandon it and add overdubbing directly to audio clips. Would be a nice feature.

Looper as a separate entity would be nice with few enhancements such as midi learn for all functions , export takes (overdubs) to clips , comping etc
By tguyfr Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:27 pm
Thank you all for your input. It's very interesting to share the same feeling about the Looper. I'll check again about the sync issue, it's maybe a user error, but I remember I tried almost everything to use the Looper. Indeed the clip recording solve my problem :oops: sometimes you try something complicated and forget the simple path. And you can apply a wet/dry treatment on the fly with the proper macro. That almost makes the Looper useless. But it could be interesting if the Looper was out to the project audio path. Then, you could loop the last track while opening a new project. In fact, it could be a nice transition tool !
By allreddv Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:00 pm
Yeah the looper is a joke, I think it is only there because they already had it from the MPC. I tried to use it a lot on the MPC because I was basically trying to get the MPC to do what the Force does. I bought the MPC Live 2 when the update came out for interface support and the Force still didn't have it. I think the MPC Live 2 is a cool piece of gear but for electronic music I think the Force is much, much, better.

You will have to search but there is a video on YouTube on how to use the looper and assign the loops to drum pads on the fly so it doesn't stop the loop playback which allows you to also create new loops without losing audio throughout the process. You have to set up a drum track with a midi clip that launches the pads each loop and then when the loop is assigned it will automatically play in time.

It is a pretty horrible workaround for something that should be so simple, but the only one I know of if you need to do audio overdubbing on loops without using multiple audio tracks which sucks also since you only get eight.
By SnowMetal Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:21 pm
allreddv wrote:there is a video on YouTube on how to use the looper and assign the loops to drum pads on the fly so it doesn't stop the loop playback

Can you link us to that, if you know which one? I'd like to see if the creator's process can teach me something new. I appreciate you. :)
By allreddv Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:35 am
I will see if I can find it tomorrow. If you want to look for it before then, search for MPC looper videos and you might find it. I am assuming it will work on the Force also but I have not used the looper even once on the Force but I believe it is the same as the MPC.
By allreddv Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:42 pm
Here it is, I had it saved in my MPC tutorial list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Lzdk8 ... 4&index=56

Like I said before, this isn't a great workaround and now that I have the Force I just do this in clip mode, but it is a way to do audio overdubbing using the looper if you needed to do audio overdubbing which cannot be done in clip mode unfortunately.