Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:40 pm
Frisbi wrote:It is sure Apc means Ableton product centre?

It's been Ableton Performance Controller for sometime.

Frisbi wrote:It is a good idea but it scares me because I am afraid this will lead to the end of developing for Live and X.
They gave up with Mpc OS?

If they sell well, this would help to keep the MPC Software/OS in development. Which should work for the LIVE and X. At this point it's all about the Software. Akai knows they can make a BEAST of a MPC if they want. However, if the OS/Software is not up to par it won't matter what they do.
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 pm
So it's not sure it is for Ableton.
Maybe it is just an update of X, more pads, more buttons and maybe 4 or 8gb?
In this case, it would mean that Live and X will not be able to be at the same level with their unexpandable 2gb.
But I cannot see any qlink on the pictures.
So what the hell is it?
By rvense Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
I'm guessing Akai own the APC brand and have decided it means Akai Performance Controller now :) Ableton ditched them for Push 2, Akai made a controller specifically for Fruity Loops, now this... I doubt many christmas cards were exchanged between Akai and Ableton.

Look, there's no way this runs Ableton Live without Ableton's involvement, it's an ARM platform (it's the same board as the MPCs!) and a small screen, they'd need to make a special version for it... and if Ableton were involved, don't you think they'd want their logo on the hardware and their name in the Quick Start guide?

This is an MPC derivative in hardware and in software too I'm sure of it, and it means that Akai are putting even more resources into this platform.

@frisbi there's 8 qlinks with X-like displays there, above the pads.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:01 pm
rvense wrote:I'm guessing Akai own the APC brand and have decided it means Akai Performance Controller now :) Ableton ditched them for Push 2, Akai made a controller specifically for Fruity Loops, now this... I doubt many christmas cards were exchanged between Akai and Ableton.

The Push 2 is 3 years old, if they are going to come out with another unit. Now would be the time. Why would there be bad blood for wanting to develop your own hardware. Perhaps, Ableton at the time, didn't how the capitol,supply, manufacturing and distributions chain to do it.

rvense wrote:if Ableton were involved, don't you think they'd want their logo on the hardware and their name in the Quick Start guide?

What we are looking at is prototype and things may change. Kind of like the MPC X with an HDMI. It's easy to throw a LOGO in a pdf. ;)
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:03 pm
rvense wrote:I'm guessing Akai own the APC brand and have decided it means Akai Performance Controller now :) Ableton ditched them for Push 2, Akai made a controller specifically for Fruity Loops, now this... I doubt many christmas cards were exchanged between Akai and Ableton.

Look, there's no way this runs Ableton Live without Ableton's involvement, it's an ARM platform (it's the same board as the MPCs!) and a small screen, they'd need to make a special version for it... and if Ableton were involved, don't you think they'd want their logo on the hardware and their name in the Quick Start guide?

This is an MPC derivative in hardware and in software too I'm sure of it, and it means that Akai are putting even more resources into this platform.

@frisbi there's 8 qlinks with X-like displays there, above the pads.

If its the same motherboard, it should have the same 2gb ram, right?
So what is the sense of it?
An upgraded hardware of MPC?
And why they call it APC?
By rvense Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 pm
The sense? Not everyone wants to fingerdrum. I always thought the clip demos on the MPC Live looked a bit strange.. a 4x4 grid isn't a lot for something like session view. This makes much more sense for that. They're taking what they have and making it work for a different demographic.

@CharlesRandolph, if they're getting it FCC certified, it's not going to change much I don't think? But you're right that I don't know if there's any bad blood between Akai and Ableton, though.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:19 pm
Frisbi wrote:If its the same motherboard, it should have the same 2gb ram, right?
So what is the sense of it?
An upgraded hardware of MPC?
And why they call it APC?

I say follow the money. Akai/Ableton partnership is the smart/money move. It helps Albeton offer more to their customers and get their software into the hands of Akai Pro users and it gets Akai Pro hardware/software in the hands of Ableton users. This may also give Ableton time to fine tune their PUSH 3...if that is something they want.

Buy the APC LIVE and get Ableton Lite. $500 dollar for the controller/interface and 99 dollar for the program.
It's a win win unless, they don't sell any. Akai needs a $600 - $700 dollar controller and Ableton needs more to offer than just software updates and a 3 year old controller.
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:29 pm
I just noticed it only has 4 outputs.
If it is 2gb of ram, then it's useless for me.
Ok maybe it is a bit faster then Live, with buttons to enter modes and more qlinks.
But it looks like its just a variation of MPC aimed at people who are used to Push.
So its like an Mpc focused on clip mode, maybe it will also have the same software and same ram.
So it is ok for me, I will stay with my Mpc Live if it is like this.
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:51 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:Dont see any reason for Akai to drop 2.X support for the Live and X.

But if they will drop it this soon I will never buy another product branded with their logo.

No I think its the opposite.
Its an Mpc for people who are used to work with Push.
I am sure it will use same OS and Ram and this would mean they will put even more effort on improving Mpc software and OS.
At least, I hope so
By kaydigi Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:21 pm
Definitely interested, I have the most fun performing with ableton push in session view. I really want to see what the base software is like in comparison to ableton.

Do the clips have follow commands, is there better crossfade loop than the mpcs, better real-time time stretch than the live etc...