Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By richie Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:06 am
- I already have 1 of these units.
- You can hook up your USB3 soundcard to it to get more outputs. So what I did was get a powered USB hub and connect 4 RME UFX II's to them for 120 output channels.
- Akai uses the Ethernet port for hooking it up to the Yamaha MOTIF ethernet expansion. They also have chrome browser installed.
- Loading samples works fine although there were a few samples I didn't like so I deleted them.
- The CV is a plus however would have preferred 16 or 32 cv outs as I've gone totally modular as its what gets me more likes on Instagram.
- The internal midi timing on it is almost the same as my Cirklon however I noticed some drift after 15 minutes when programming at 159.9 bpm.
- The external midi timing on it is spot on although I do not like that it does not make my DX7 sound more soulful.
- The switching power supply it comes with looks the same as my Packard Bell laptop power supply but unfortunately they're incompatible with each other.

That's all for now. More updates soon.
By richie Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:26 am
zangetsu01 wrote:Where did you get it??

I obtained it through unspecified channels.
By aes-one Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:12 am
my initial thought was, this was going to be another stand alone MPC running the same software as the X/Live, but when connected to a computer it also keeps the same Ableton integration as the previous APC's/Push controllers. this will also allow for seamless integration when running MPC VST in Ableton, so you can control both MPC software and Ableton with a single controller.

after the suggestions that this release may not have anything to do with Ableton at all, it got me thinking...could this release be as simple as another MPC but with a different form factor? maybe Akai has decided that the 8x8 APC/Push style grid along with a few new other hardware features/changes (but running the same software) would be enough justification to warrant a whole new machine?

it seems less ambitious than my initial Akai/Ableton partnership idea with a sort of MPC/Push hybrid machine that can control them all...which is another reason why i am beginning to think this is more and more likely.

given this machine is for real (which it seems it is), then the easiest option for Akai is to simply make this another MPC with an APC-like form factor (still running the same software as the X/Live on both the computer and standalone). could this be the most likely outcome?
By richie Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:42 am
rvense wrote:Strongly doubt it has anything to do with Ableton. This is Akai trying to lure people away from the Push by offering laptopless performance capabilities.

The ethernet jack is for Ableton Link. So yeah, it does have to do with Ableton in some facet.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:45 am
I can only assume that in 'standalone' it runs the standard MPC firmware (or a 'clips-optimised' gimped version), but in 'controller mode' you can control Ableton Live, just like the previous APC. This is surely a side project, not a replacement for the MPC line, just like Maschine Jam is not a replacement to the main Maschine controllers.
By Danoc Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 am
That may be true but not for me. They need to tilt that screen!

CharlesRandolph wrote:
Danoc wrote: What he said.

Ethernet port may be a game changer across many devices.
By Bezo Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:21 pm
Needing only 1 pad controller and 1 keyboard controller, I have no interest in this beyond how it will help prolong & expand MPC related development. Only Akai's announcement of regular updates for the MPC keeps my faith. Aside from that, this looks like more splinters... Andvance/VIP, Fire/FL Studio, APC/Abelton.
By kaydigi Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:39 pm
Will they change the software to use 2 controllers at the same time?

Could be useful to have the apc open in clip mode and the touch/live/studio in drum program mode.

Native dropped the ball in those regards. What ever screen is focused on the software, the Jam and Maschine both focus on the same groups.