Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Jody Jamz Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:39 pm
Hi guys,

I just noticed a problem with my Forces headphone jack:

When playing bassy kick drums and such, I can hear a sort of distorted \ clipping \ grainy sound especially at lower volumes.

For example, If I load the demo project After dark and play the up / leftmost clip DrumLoop, the clipping can be heard on every kick. It is not "actual" clipping since the mixer and resample show way below 0db, but it sounds like it.

The weird thing is that If I turn the master volume down about -10db and thern turn the volume and cue knob to approx same volume level as I heard the clipping before, the clipping is not as bad or almost nonexistent.

I've tried with two headphones both with same results. I have tried them with the same 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter, but everything works fine on my pc.

Has anybody exprienced this or should I contact Akai support?
By Jody Jamz Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:41 pm
Follow up: I believe this problem is software related (thankfully), because I can resample the "clipping" and play it back on the force at any level. I will move the file to my PC next and if it still "clips" the problem is def not on the headphone port.

It's still weird that this is happening way below 0db. :?
By Jody Jamz Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:17 pm
I also noticed that when listening to the stock drum kits, at least "Classichouse-Kit-Creation.xpm" and "Classichouse-Kit-Lanes.xpm" were already clearly clipping trough headphones when auditioning them on the Load screen.

If someone else who has Force can replicate and confirm that It happens to them as well, would help.
By Jody Jamz Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:23 am
(This thread is becoming sort of a monologue, but what the heck):

I just tried another unit at the music store, and it is doing the exact same thing. (Which is sort of relief because it means that my unit is not faulty).

The bad news is, there are certain unknown conditions where the Force will clip sounds under 0db, or at least it shows that the decibels are under 0db when clipping.
It would help to solve the issue if the force had a master output mixer, not just individual track mixers.

My best bet is that this is either a bug showing too little decibels in the mixer, or it is some kind of post processing effect that gains the sounds over 0db even though it doesn't show anywhere in the device.

Hopefully this is fixed soon.
By Bynoe Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:51 am
Hi. I have just recently got the force and have found the same problem. I’m on the latest software version. Did you find a solution for this yet
By Max Powerz Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:19 pm
I have the same issue, i discovered the problem for me is that i'm using a headest with mic that has a 4 pole plug.
If i pull the headphone plug out of the 1/4 to 1/8th adapter about 1mm the sound is perfect.
If i use regular headphones with no mic and a 3 pole plug the sound is perfect.
By karmacomposer Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:09 pm
I am not having this issue. I have a pair of mastering headphones in a 1/8th to 1/4 inch adapter (silver). No audio defects to be heard - headphone cue up just enough to be loud but not enough to hurt.

Mike