Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By pedro666 Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:54 am
ok, so ive been looking at the force to replace my weedy electribe esx2.

With the esx2 i was using it to play audio loops and play some external midi synths.
The audio loops would be 1 bar - 4 bars max and not massive chunks of audio.

My live set would be 10 songs and each song has up to 10 patterns which would contain breaks,loops,samples etc etc.

This was all done with 24mb of ram, in mono and at 22khz rate.

Now, i want to use the force in the same way by having so many clips with audio samples,drum tracks etc etc for one song and then the next and so on .

so there may be a row of 10 clips for one song, so with 10 songs average i will need 100 clips in a row with ALL samples etc already loaded.

From what ive seen so far with demos is people loading up a project at a time.

I need my whole set loaded as one as there is no break in my set to load individual projects.

Is this possible? i mean, the esx2 can do it with 24mb im sure this can.
By NearTao Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:12 pm
pedro666 wrote:ok, so ive been looking at the force to replace my weedy electribe esx2.

With the esx2 i was using it to play audio loops and play some external midi synths.
The audio loops would be 1 bar - 4 bars max and not massive chunks of audio.

My live set would be 10 songs and each song has up to 10 patterns which would contain breaks,loops,samples etc etc.

This was all done with 24mb of ram, in mono and at 22khz rate.

Now, i want to use the force in the same way by having so many clips with audio samples,drum tracks etc etc for one song and then the next and so on .

so there may be a row of 10 clips for one song, so with 10 songs average i will need 100 clips in a row with ALL samples etc already loaded.

From what ive seen so far with demos is people loading up a project at a time.

I need my whole set loaded as one as there is no break in my set to load individual projects.

Is this possible? i mean, the esx2 can do it with 24mb im sure this can.

It is absolutely possible... your project can have multiple sequences... so you can think of a force sequence akin to an esx2 sequence... and each song can occupy one or more sequences.

Basically you just need to do the hard work of sampling loops, one shots, and key groups in, and then exporting, recording, or otherwise reprogramming all of your tracks in...

The only problem I foresee is that from a memory standpoint you're not exactly comparing apples to oranges... 24mb is what is free on the esx, but it also has all of the wav form data for the instruments, this will take up more memory. Also keep in mind that while the esx uses 22khz mono, the force is going to convert everything to... I think 48khz 32bit wether you want it to or not, and this will eat into your memory faster.

I still think you should be able to get it all to fit though, if you find yourself running out of memory you can do tricks like having fewer key steps in a keygroup, convert key groups or samples to mono, pitch content up when you record it in, then pitch it down... etc...
By MPC-Tutor Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:43 pm
Worth pointing out that the Force does not have 'sequences' like the MPC so the approach to a multi-song set will be somewhat different to that of an MPC.

You can certainly set up a Force project to be capable of handling multiple songs. For example, pre-load all your programs (i.e. 'tracks', e.g. kits, instruments, plugins and MIDI tracks), and then set up your clips and scenes in a logical order that follows your set list. For example, song one would utilize scenes 1-12, song 2 could use scenes 13-17, and so on. You can have 128 scenes and 128 tracks, so you can use the project navigation tool to move around the matrix accordingly.

You'll probably need to carefully manage the memory usage, but it's certainly all possible. If there's a lot of songs it might be wise to use more plugin and MIDI instruments instead of sample-based instruments wherever possible, then there's the obvious stuff like using mono instead of stereo samples whenever you can.
By pedro666 Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:28 pm
Cheers guys.

So 128 scenes covers enough to do 10 songs (thats if i use all 10 scenes per song)
And 128 tracks il never use.

With the esx 2 i had 16 tracks, about 8 were break beats, loops, samples and the other 8 were either for midi or the built in synth engine using it for sub bass.

The esx2 doesnt have the ability to load several samples on to one track and use as a drum kit so sometimes id have to use 4-5 tracks to make a drum kit which was annoying.

Something i cant figure out is people complaining they're running out if memory on the force??!?
It has 2gig and im assuming the more fx etc you use it eats it up quick.

Even if the software, fx,etc used up 1gig, id still have a gig left for samples?

As i said, most my samples are 1 bar to 4 max and just loops, no big 5 minute long sounds.

I think this is the bit of kit for me, it excites me the workflow and the ability to launch clips on the pads and play stuff aswell.

I did look at the live but need the clip launch feature really.