Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Fenrok Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:32 am
I bought a Force, updated it to 3.0.4 and rebooted it. I am using it to record and playback MIDI to/from an external synthesizer (Novation Bass Station 2). It records all MIDI and its automation CC's perfect, and it plays back most of it well.

Playing back Pitchbend via MIDI OUT has a bug in it though. When I record Pitchbend from the synth, it works as expected and records automation data as expected, labeling it "Trk: Pitchbend".

When I play it back via MIDI OUT, it changes Patch Programs up and down instead. I played the same MIDI clip again to a Novation Peak, it did the same thing. When I connected the Bass Station to the Peak, the pitchbend worked as expected on the Peak, no patch changes. When I use my roland A-300 keyboard to send pitchbend, it works fine on these same synths also.

So the Force has a bug where it is changing the patch program on MIDI OUT when pitchbend is sent.

Please check your Forces with external synths and submit a bug report if you have the same issue, so it can be fixed soon. Recording keyboard input data and playing it back is a lot of the reason I bought this.

When recording pitchbend data into your MIDI, make sure Record CC data as automation is turned on.

If you have similar equipment and pitchbend plays back out via MIDI output as expected, let me know. If its a hardware issue, I can return it. It seema like a software issue though, since everything else (mod wheel, filters, aftertouch) all record and playback fine.
By Florian42 Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:52 pm
Hi, I experienced the same. When I play pitchbend trough or from force at highest value, it sends program messages.
I can see this on an iPad midi monitor connected via cable midi.
These random program changes made my setup blinking like a Christmas tree.