Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Woodie Wi Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:26 pm
I have the Force working with my external drum machines. Track is set up as Midi. However, none of the Note Configurations are optimal for drums. Currently I just leave it at Chromatic, but obviously I don't need all these pads as many of them do nothing. Plus it's difficult to remember what pad triggers what drum. I figured you would be able to set up some Note Configuration for drums like a 4x4 MPC style layout where it would be possible to assign midi note numbers to correspond to however you would like the drum pads set up. Is this possible. I can not figure it out.

Thanks in advance.
By Woodie Wi Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:37 am
Well since nobody replied I'm assuming we can't do this. The force really needs a drum note mode for midi tracks where we can assign midi notes to pads. It would also be a plus if we could choose pad colors also.
By Limg000m Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:22 am
Hey WW -- I'm not sure I'm totally understanding, but I use my Roland SPD 30 to trigger drum sounds on the Force and also use the Force to trigger drum sounds on the SPD-30. Does that sound like the kind of thing you're trying to do?
By CHOSKY_17 Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:37 am
Woodie Wi wrote:I have the Force working with my external drum machines. Track is set up as Midi. However, none of the Note Configurations are optimal for drums. Currently I just leave it at Chromatic, but obviously I don't need all these pads as many of them do nothing. Plus it's difficult to remember what pad triggers what drum. I figured you would be able to set up some Note Configuration for drums like a 4x4 MPC style layout where it would be possible to assign midi note numbers to correspond to however you would like the drum pads set up. Is this possible. I can not figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

did you manage to do what you asked?
I'm trying anyway and in the end I'm going to have to go back to push+ableton.
Regards
By Koekepan Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:10 pm
I don't see this kind of assignment anywhere - but I think that you're trying to do something in a way that is kind of counter to the Force's philosophy.

Instead, I would expect to sample the drum machines, then treat the result as a big drumkit inside the Force, complete with different colour settings per pad to help you remember which is which.

Another cool option is to use the external drum machines, but use the step sequencing interface to drive them - this way you can audition a pad and velocity level and make sure that you're doing the right thing.
By CHOSKY_17 Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:17 pm
yes, but the problem is that some drum machines have different notes (altered) or different midi channels.
I wish they would put out a note mapping on each drum to use external drum machines.
By voonta Tue May 24, 2022 11:08 am
I was able to do this with a TR8s.

You can run external drum machines by using the Midi Send from a drum track to another midi track that communicates with your drum machine.

1. Add a Drum track and a midi track to your project
  2. Open the mixer
  3. Open the Drum Track Settings by double clicking the name of the channel in the mixer
  4. Select the Midi Track in the Midi Send dropdown
  5. Open the Midi Track Settings
  6. Set the Midi Output Channel to your drum machine channel (the TR8s has 2 midi channels, 1 for pattern and 1 for kit. I use the kit channel but both work fine)
  7. You should be able to enter a sequence in your drum rack and trigger the sounds on your Drum Machine
By Koekepan Tue May 24, 2022 5:10 pm
Nice. Solid workaround.

The Force doesn't always make everything perfect, but you can almost always achieve what you want with a little thought.