Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By DigitalFishy Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:30 am
My Force has a blown audio output. All outputs have the same problem, either no audio or blown out full blast pops on transient peaks only. Should I look for a blown capacitor or resistor inside?
By BASSMECHANIC Mon May 31, 2021 9:08 am
My Force has the same problem. I think It when out when I flipped the 48v phantom t
switch while on. If anyone has info id like to fix asap. Dont want to send in if I can fix at home.
By garikfox Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:05 pm
This scares me since I want to buy one.
By EnochLight Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:02 pm
garikfox wrote:This scares me since I want to buy one.

It shouldn't scare you. 3 people having an issue out of the tens of thousands sold is not something to worry about at all. Regardless, if you're in the US, buy it from Sweetwater. You get a free 2 year warranty with it.
By garikfox Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:46 pm
Well it's happened again! ANOTHER Main-Output failure.

Our member Koekepan has One Output channel that has developed a crackle making his device useless.

Question(s) for the other people with Output failures...

Were you using ALL 4 Outputs at the time of failure?

What is the average your volume is positioned, >50%?
By Koekepan Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 pm
Using all four:

only to a limited, occasional extent

average volume: 50%, noon on the dial.
By garikfox Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:38 pm
Thanks Koekepan, Out of curiosity how old is your Force?
By Koekepan Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:59 pm
I kind of don't know.

Here's the reason: I only bought it a couple of months ago (this summer) but I got a demo model discount, so it probably sat in a showroom, getting generally smacked around.

Sweetwater confirmed that it was up to quality before sending it, and when I received it it was as good as new, but that's all I really know. However, I'm going to guess that it was in pretty reasonable shape, and not wantonly abused.

I suspect that what happened was a poor quality batch of manufacturing units; either a set of dodgy capacitors, or possibly a weak set of sockets or something. I suspect that, properly identified, it should result in a voluntary recall.
By garikfox Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:19 pm
Thank you! I'm trying to narrow down what might be the cause of this.

Do you use Balanced cables?
By Koekepan Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:45 pm
No, these were straightforward unbalanced TS patch cables.

That said, that should make no difference whatsoever. In fact, even if I'd had all outputs and the master volume cranked to all-100, all the time, using unbalanced cables, and then used them in a nude photoshoot with a bondage fetishist and a dozen ferrets, it should make no difference because those are outputs, and they carry no voltages except those generated internally. (And no, I didn't plug them to each other, or any other outputs.)

If the sockets themselves are failing, that is sad, but should be a (relatively) easy fix. If the problem is (speculating here) a capacitor or a transistor dying internally, chances are that's because of a faulty batch from a manufacturer.

The behaviour of the system suggests that there is some input volume (i.e. voltage) beneath which no audio signal is generated. This could be because of a dodgy contact inside the socket itself, although that would be unusual, but is more likely to be something like an internal noise filter going bad somehow in the DAC.

My best guess is that there's a piece of electronics near the socket that is not wearing well, and this is the root cause. My surmise is that this is owing to a subcomponent manufacturing defect, and that Akai, once they nail this cause to the wall, will be exercising the kind of penalty contract best compared to a rubber glove, a tub of vaseline, and a manic cackle.

I hope then that in the interests of their customers, they issue a general recall.
By ace_of_dub Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:46 am
I hope then that in the interests of their customers, they issue a general recall.

Dream on, they'll never acknowledge it publicly, it would cost them millions. They barely acknowledged the fact that updating a MPC might brick it and if you're out of warranty, tough luck to get it fixed...
By Koekepan Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:52 pm
Mine got repaired (under warranty) by Sweetwater, and they have refused to tell me what they did, other than a software upgrade.

The problem has not recurred.

I strongly suspect that they very quietly did a main board swap, and aren't telling people because Akai doesn't want to face a general recall.

Send yours in to a professional shop for repair, and they'll probably see you right. Just don't look behind the curtain.