Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By brazilianx Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:17 am
First-time poster getting my head around the Akai Force and seriously considering this as a groovebox. Feels like the right time to get on board as it has come of age' with the recent updates. Hope someone can get my head around this question, please.

I understand it has 4 built-in plugin instruments courtesy of Air Technology. You cannot add to these factory shipped instruments. But is their a way to access the plethora of third-party VSTs?

I'm concerned there is a whole world of VSTs that I won't be able to reach. Some say the onboard plugins aren't 'all that', and I don't want to have to buy a load of hardware modules.

Now I'm not interested in creating songs on Ableton per se, as I want to do as much on Force as possible, but could you use Ableton simply for its ability to run VSTs? Treating it pretty much as an external instrument that would effectively be a slave to the Force? Or is that a non-starter?

Thanks for helping
By MPC-Tutor Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:54 am
No VST support in the Force, unlikely to ever be. You could use a computer running a DAW and trigger VSTs via MIDI.

But seriously, the internal plugins are great, anyone saying they 'aint all that' is talking out of their backside. Just no pleasing some people with this stuff, they want all the benefits of standalone boxes and somehow also want all the benefits of a powerful computer running a fully fledged DAW.

The Force has a wide range of synth options, a suite of FX (which were originally found in ProTools), can autosample any MIDI instrument (including VSTs via MIDI), has a reasonably powerful sampler and can trigger multiple external synths. Anyone who thinks they are in some way limited by this are really just deep down limited by their own lack of creativity. Don't listen to the people who seem to just talk the talk rather than make music. Grab the Force, make music, have fun and explore what's possible with the tools in front of you.
By EnochLight Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:55 pm
brazilianx wrote:I understand it has 4 built-in plugin instruments courtesy of Air Technology.

Actually, no - it has 5 built-in plugin instruments in standalone:

• Hype Synth
  • Drum Synth
  • Tube Synth
  • Bassline Synth
  • Electric

..and a plethora of Air plugin effects, as well as some stock Akai effects. For a standalone groovebox, they are all fantastic and a great way to augment your Force productions that are centered around audio/MIDI clip launching. Maschine+ may have NI stuff, but Force can easily hold its own. And that Arranger! :wink:
By DokBrown Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:11 pm
I honestly feel this is where maschine+ wins, NI was able to toss in already established tools. Meanwhile, I would never buy a standalone machine with those limited inputs/outputs.

Figure out what weakness there is with the included machines & Get 1 or 2 hardware sound modules to fill that space after spending 1-2 years with the FORCE . . . . . my guess is you just need a real analog machine to go with that FORCE.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/dsi/evo.php

https://novationmusic.com/en/synths/afx-station
By wd8dky Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:06 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:No VST support in the Force, unlikely to ever be. You could use a computer running a DAW and trigger VSTs via MIDI.

But seriously, the internal plugins are great, anyone saying they 'aint all that' is talking out of their backside...

Not all of us are making Dance/EDM/Trance/... music. Some of us are making Blues, Metal, etc., and the built-in synths don't cut it for those types of music.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:13 am
wd8dky wrote:
Not all of us are making Dance/EDM/Trance/... music. Some of us are making Blues, Metal, etc., and the built-in synths don't cut it for those types of music.

The force is a midi based device built primarily for electronic music, not blues and metal, it's certainly not targeted to that type of music and it would be unfair to expect it to come with blues and metal instruments.

However, it's a sampler, so you can of course load in multisampled acoustic instruments, or make your own.

What kind of plug-in instruments would you be looking for to make blues and metal?