Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Vfire77 Thu May 27, 2021 1:43 am
Hey guys, i couldn't find any info on this, but can I take a network cable and link two forces together so my hard drive in one can be accessed by the other? I want to use one drive on two machines for live performance.

Thanks
By Koekepan Thu May 27, 2021 2:05 am
I'm going to jump in pretty early on this one and guess that the answer is "no".

The reason for my guess is that you aren't getting an open-ended network setup complete with NFS or FTP access, just Ableton Link, as I understand it. So while it might, in theory, be possible to hack the OS and add things like an nfsd to one of them, you might just be better off grabbing a couple of cheap SDcards and duplicating the data across them.
By Lampdog Thu May 27, 2021 3:06 am
Probably couldn’t find info on it because it can’t do it.

Like Koekepan stated, Unofficially technically quite possibly doable, reality, no.
By Vfire77 Thu May 27, 2021 3:11 am
Thats too bad... so many things the Force could use, not to mention the ability to insert a track :(

You would think with what it is, people could be easily using 2 side by side like CDJ's. Thats what I plan to do, make my beats, turn up at a club and plug in 2 forces into the Dj mixer.
By Koekepan Thu May 27, 2021 3:21 am
If I had two Forces, and a need to play like that in a club, I would simply duplicate necessary data by SDcard, and sync them with a MIDI cable.

Boom. Done. Cheaply, too.

But I think that I'd probably not get the second Force, and rather bring along a dedicated sound device so that I could have deep MIDI sequencing for days, really complex sound design and maybe even a keyboard so that I could jam along in ways that the Force's buttons don't permit.

I think I'd go for my KORG Krome in that scenario. Force and Krome - easily transported, monumental power. Or the Synesthesia Pipes, when it comes out.
By NearTao Thu May 27, 2021 12:55 pm
Akai does not support it, and neither does the firmware.

You'd need to look into the modified firmware that provides SSH, and then roll your own environment.

So I'd say "technically possible", but you'll need to put in the work. I don't think most people here modify their Force/MPCs firmware, and fewer would be looking for a specific "shared" drive system.
By DokBrown Thu May 27, 2021 7:19 pm
Koekepan wrote:If I had two Forces, and a need to play like that in a club, I would simply duplicate necessary data by SDcard, and sync them with a MIDI cable.

Boom. Done. Cheaply, too.

Two of anything and a MIDI cord, solves most problems ;-)
I either will get another MPC LIVE or FORCE once I decide whether the MPC can move thru clips with different tempos . . . . .

I’ve seen pics of DRE & other major old school producers with multiple electribes / MPCs / SPs / etc. These old machines had virtually no RAM and were slow to load up new files/project. Not to mention, they might crash if u dared do a live set with them. A lot of limitations can be fixed by just having a duplicate in SYNC. Much easier with an MPC / electribe than a large workstation [korg triton / roland MV]
By Koekepan Thu May 27, 2021 10:00 pm
I'm a big believer in keeping it cheap and simple, especially on stage. It's usually more robust as well.

I would be nervous about using one as the data source for the other, because if the first one crashes, they're both in trouble.

I've heard that some DJs keep a Monster GoDJ (https://monstergodj.com/) around just as insurance, so that if they have an equipment catastrophe they can flick it in with a fader and keep the party going while they fix whatever trauma trashed their setup. If you plan to perform with a Force, or a Live, it might not be a bad idea to get one of those as your backup in case you have to reboot your primary.