Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Koekepan Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:24 pm
I think I'll disagree with you here.

It can be a groovebox - but with the arranger and linear sequencing and (up to a point) recording and so on, it's a full-fledged workstation.

This isn't something that I say lightly, but I'd rather have a Force than a Kronos, and with future updates that only promises to get more true.
By Lampdog Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:57 pm
Force and Kronos are 2 totally diff beasts.
By Koekepan Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:36 am
No question, they are radically different, and I respect that distinction, but at the same time they are both full standalone workstations, both capable of delivering live performances, both capable of being studio masters and driving major composition - in a nutshell, they're both workstations.

I actually give something of an edge to the Force for the detail editing interface, something where the Kronos has always fallen behind a bit. The Kronos has some delicious sound engines, and the Force isn't on par there.

But they both fill the same general niche in important ways, and that's why I make the comparison. Add in value for money, and the Force wins it for me. (And I say this as a guy with two KORG workstations already in his studio. I'm not dissing KORG here.)
By Lampdog Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:48 am
I get it. But I wouldn’t pit pads against keys (I have a Kronos2). Diff feel of machine.
By Koekepan Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:54 pm
I'm with you on that, if you take the machine strictly in isolation, but the moment that you allow for hooking other things up, that changes. Many people get a pad controller to hook up to their Kronos, and just yesterday I was working on the Force with a USB MIDI keyboard controller.

In fact, I've been considering getting a Microkey 61 just to permanently hook up to the Force so that it gives me the pad and key options all the time.
By Lampdog Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:11 pm
I use Kronos2 or Moog 37 as controllers for X.

I used to use Triton Extreme + 4k.

Before that Triton Classic + 2kxl.

Before that ASR-10 + 2kxl.

Point, always have keys+pads and it’s all the control you need.

Luckily Korgs have always been good at loading several diff files (back on topic).
Of course all gear has proprietary files that just won’t work anywhere else. .XPJ is that.