Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By revd Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:38 pm
TLDR - I'm tangled in wires right now and want the cleanest/simplest solution to connect an iPad, TB-3 and other synths to the Force, both MIDI and Audio

Hi guys and girls just found this great forum. One of my main gripes about the Force has been a lack of a good support community compared to Ableton etc. Also Akai's support is lousy to say the least!

Anyhow I'm getting on really well with the Akai force and have managed to get my Roland TB-3 playing nicely with it.

I also have an iPad Air with USB C, no headphone) working with it. I have an adapter that adds a headphone socket, and a further USB-A and I also have a Roland UM-ONE USB-to-MIDI interface so I think I'm set in terms of connecting it to the Force, but I think I need to purchase the AUM software. I was hoping Audiobus might do it but I think I need to set MIDI channel using AUM? Or do some of the synths connect directly if I wanted to do that? e.g. Sunrizer, Synth One etc. ?

Maybe I don't need the UM-ONE and can just do MIDI over USB or Bluetooth?

Right now I'm planning on putting both the TB-03 and iPad through my Roland MX-1 mixer and back into the Force, but I'm not sure if this is overkill just to have both (and potentially other) external synths/devices connected at the same time, and maybe this is where a powered USB hub might be a better option?
By revd Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:59 pm
Great - I've seen these but was interested in whether it worked with iPad or not.

Do you ever use more than one iPad synth on different midi channels?

Also what do you use to feed all the audio into Force? Is something like the MX-1 a good choice here (as I already have one) or is it overkill?
By Lampdog Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:14 pm
revd wrote:Do you ever use more than one iPad synth on different midi channels?

Yep, I use Audiobus3. There are many other alternatives.

Ipad USB can be connected to the powered hub for midi control. Audio via usb input on X is not possible, idk about Force. My ipad audio sometimes goes to Kronos2 (used as an fx box sometimes) or Audio interface.

https://alternativeto.net/software/audiobus/

revd wrote:Also what do you use to feed all the audio into Force? Is something like the MX-1 a good choice here (as I already have one) or is it overkill?

MX-1 is a mixer, I've seen the ports on the back, it should workout just fine.