Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By garikfox Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:46 pm
Hi my name is Garik and I really want to buy a Force but I have some questions that I can't find answers too :(

First off EDM is my favorite music next to classical but I know nothing about MPC/Force/DJ/etc... I'm a intermediate flute player and grew up with my mom being a band teacher and my father a opera singer, so I know how to read sheet music. With that being said here's my questions I hope someone can help me.

1. Can I make classical music with this?

2. Can I take the notes from a piece of sheet music and assign each note to a pad?

3. Can it sound like a Piano?

4. Can you add more plug-ins to it like, I hear one called Serum is good? (wavetable, FM, so confused...)

5. So many of these things called synths available out there, why is there only 4 in this and are they good? I'm confused why so few...(maybe I just don't know what a synth engine is or does)

6. Is the build quality good?
(reason I'm asking is I tried the little MPK mini Mk3 a few months back but it felt too cheap and I sent it back) I'm very OCD about quality.

7. Which microphone do you think I should get for use with my flute for under hundred bucks? (Zoom?)

8. And lastly, Thanks to China there's way too many crappy headphones (and mic's for that matter) out there so which one's are good for under hundred bucks?

Thank you for spending time reading my questions, I appreciate it.

Thanks again,
-Garik Fox
By EnochLight Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:40 am
garikfox wrote:1. Can I make classical music with this?

Using the pads in notes mode, you could, but it would be easier to hook up a proper MIDI controller keyboard so you get access to a full set of keys in one sitting. That said, Force doesn't have a lot of classical music instruments out of the box, so YMMV... Force's strong points are really geared towards electronic music genres.

garikfox wrote:2. Can I take the notes from a piece of sheet music and assign each note to a pad?

Each pad can contain either: audio (samples, etc), or MIDI data that triggers "something" (that something can be a myriad of things: plugins, CV, external hardware, etc) . There is no sheet music conversion feature or anything, though.

garikfox wrote:3. Can it sound like a Piano?

Absolutely! One of the included plugins, Hype Synth, is a rompler hybrid synth and has a few really good pianos built-in.

garikfox wrote:4. Can you add more plug-ins to it

No. Currently it comes with 5 instruments (Hype Synth, Tube Synth, Bassline Synth, Electric, and Drum Synth) and a ton of effect plugins (both by Air Music as well as Akai). Currently. :wink:

garikfox wrote:5. So many of these things called synths available out there, why is there only 4 in this and are they good? I'm confused why so few...(maybe I just don't know what a synth engine is or does)

Yes they're good. There are 5 actually. Hype is an awesome workhorse synth, and the rest get the job done. And Drum Synth is great fun on Force. And what you get is what you get.. CURRENTLY. Until Maschine+ appeared, there was literally no other device like this on the market that had standalone plugins like this in such a well designed package - save for the current MPC line. As for why aren't there more? Akai does what Akai will do. ;)

garikfox wrote:6. Is the build quality good?

Build quality is excellent, but it's mostly plastic.

garikfox wrote:7. Which microphone do you think I should get for use with my flute for under hundred bucks? (Zoom?)

For a flute, you'd want a large diaphragm cardioid with Force and power it via Force's 48 volt phantom power, IMHO. Others may have other preferences, though. For under $100 USD, you're going to have very few options in that category though. Might as well just pickup a Shure SM58 or something similar for that price. If you can up your budget a little, the Presonus PX-1 Large Diaphragm Cardioid can be found for around $129 USD and gets decent reviews (make sure you use a shock mount).

garikfox wrote:8. And lastly, Thanks to China there's way too many crappy headphones (and mic's for that matter) out there so which one's are good for under hundred bucks?

Honestly, that is not China's fault. It's the fault of the crappy consumer electronics companies building them there and not giving a rat's ass about QC. And again, for under $100 USD - you get what you pay for - mostly crap. That said, a decent set of affordable cans is the Status Audio CB-1 Closed Back Studio Monitor Headphones. Usually can be found on Amazon for less than $60 USD. Don't expect stellar build quality and something that will last you years, but I've had mine in the studio for roughly 3 years and they're still going strong and sound halfway decent.
By EnochLight Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:41 pm
garikfox wrote:Thank you very much !

Anytime! To be frank, Force is simply an incredible machine, and it's only going to get better. Akai has some really great plans in store for Force. That said, I get that you like to do classical, but Force is really a loop/clip-based production environment, but its linear Arranger lends itself well to doing "traditional" arrangements as well. My advice is: purchase from a well known retailer that has a liberal return policy so you can try it out and see if it works for you. If you don't like it, return it.
By garikfox Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:07 pm
Thank you, Since I love trance I was thinking of taking some good classical and morphing it into EDM. Might sound crazy at first but it sounds fun lol

I'm just VERY OCD about hardware quality and as more a item cost the more OCD I get lol.
By Koekepan Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 pm
Figured I'd chime in.

You can absolutely do classical music on this, but the easiest way might be to just use a single scene with really long clips. Maybe a scene per movement in a multi-movement piece like a grand sonata or symphony.

If you do get one, understand that it has some limitations, and that you can get great results by understanding how, in the Force's workflow, you work around those limitations. It's just like learning that a flute is a monophonic instrument.

As far as build quality is concerned, I have not the slightest concern. If it's not a Rolls Royce, that's OK. It's a nice, solid Camry. If you're worried, get a good hardshell case for it. But I would take it gigging tomorrow, without a care in the world.

One of the nicest things about the Force is that its plugins and effects sound good. Once you learn how to use them, you get a really rich sonic landscape. Are more coming? I'm sure. The result will be that you'll have a beautiful set of options to create what you like.
By Koekepan Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:42 pm
I haven't come across any crashes, but I do save my work fairly regularly, so I'm not too concerned.

As for hardware failures, that's why I have a warranty.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that you'll have a problem, but the prevalence doesn't seem to be great.
By EnochLight Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:00 pm
garikfox wrote:Thank you for your input. :)

I'm currently concerned about a few things Iv'e read here though, not sure if it's a wide issue but it bothers me.

This..
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=211296

and these...
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=210377
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=210564
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=205923

No, there is nothing to worry about. Extremely small isolated cases are bound to pop up, but in the Force thread over at Gearslutz (where've we've spent years talking about Force and have a lot of "case studies"), the overall feedback is: it's a solid machine that's stable.

Again, buy it from a reputable retailer with a liberal return policy and give it a try. If you find it doesn't work for you and doesn't meet your standards, take it back for a refund.
By garikfox Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:57 pm
You're right at gearspace there's literally no one with a problem besides the usual firmware rants. Which is really good in itself. So I agree there's probably no issue with the Force. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I'm still thinking about getting it but that's a lot of money. Hmmm... :)
By Koekepan Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:34 pm
My take on it:

At the price, it's a steal. It's a better, stronger studio hub than KORG's Kross, and has a better interface for composition. You can make it do languid ambient, or intense metal. It does well with external controllers, and with its autosampling it will take a lot of sounds in for later use. The build quality is solid, the interface is approachable.

If you're in the market for a sequencer, a workstation, a studio hub or just about anything except a multitrack recorder, the Force should be on your shortlist.

I'm a very price sensitive, value-for-money buyer, and I was nervous about pulling the trigger on the Force. It took me months to even come around to it after detailed analysis - but now that I have it, and I'm making it sing, I'm delighted.

It's not for everybody, but it is for a hell of a lot of people.
By garikfox Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:22 pm
My biggest concern is build quality. I'm very OCD, Institution OCD lol

I just don't want it too come broken. But than again i can just send it back and get a new one.

I'll be getting it on Amazon because of the 5-payment plan option.
By garikfox Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:43 pm
Hey guys, can the force be hooked up to my pioneer home stereo as Master Out?

Reason I'm asking is the manual says to use 1/4 to 1/4 TRS cable to monitor speakers, but mentions nothing about home stereos.
By Lampdog Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:05 pm
home stereo to mpc input.
Mpc output to powered/amped speakers/monitors.
Non-powered/non-amped speakers/non-amped monitors will not work with this.