Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Koekepan Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:15 am
Stupid question, but first: I scanned the manual already and didn't find it there, nor in my research in the machine itself.

Is there a way to normalise to a particular dB level, or alternatively to a given LUFS standard?

(If not, Akai, this seems as if it should be an option out of the box, and probably not a huge programming challenge?)
By EnochLight Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:29 pm
Koekepan wrote:Stupid question, but first: I scanned the manual already and didn't find it there, nor in my research in the machine itself.

Is there a way to normalise to a particular dB level, or alternatively to a given LUFS standard?

(If not, Akai, this seems as if it should be an option out of the box, and probably not a huge programming challenge?)

As virtually no one would release something directly from their Force for distribution without first mastering, I don't really see a need for LUFS. The mastering stage is where that comes into focus, IMHO. Standard decibel metering is pretty standard for everything you do on a groovebox IMHO.
By Koekepan Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:18 pm
But what if I want to go from idea to radio-ready in one box? It's not as if LUFS mastering were some kind of weird secret, it should just be another process available to run on a mixdown.
By NearTao Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:11 pm
Koekepan wrote:But what if I want to go from idea to radio-ready in one box? It's not as if LUFS mastering were some kind of weird secret, it should just be another process available to run on a mixdown.

Mastering is some sort of weird secret. Each platform has different db min/max, LUFS requirements, silence requirements, etc... if you really want to do it "in the box" I think you're best served doing it in controller mode with the appropriate plugin chains.
By Synaptic Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:13 pm
I've managed to mix and master a track to a decent standard so its possible to do it all in the force. The force could do with an ozone advanced like mastering suite that would take our box of magic to next level.
By Koekepan Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:00 pm
Yup. Mastering is a weird, deep secret but there's no technical, mathematical reason that would render the Force incapable of doing it.

It should in principle, from a user interface standpoint, be as simple as adding that feature to the sample effects list that you can use to trim, normalise and otherwise tweak rendered tracks. A few parameters for LUFS definitions, and you're off to the races.