Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By DannyMcO Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:38 pm
Has anybody found an easily-removable VESA adapter that would fit a Force? What is it?

Waldorf's Iridium and Kyra synths have them, and it gives them a lot of flexibility for both home and stage use as they can be put on to articulated arms. I kind of envision a "Doctor Octopus" setup with multiple controllers over time, but so far there aren't many synth or controller makers building in VESA.

If anyone has other, non-VESA options (including - gasp! - Velcro-ing the bottom to something) that allows use of some kind of articulated arm or gooseneck, would love to see pics of it.
By Koekepan Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:08 pm
Maybe with the VESA specs in hand and the bottom plate used for the drive bay, you could get a machine shop to fabricate you something?
By DannyMcO Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:13 pm
Koekepan wrote:Maybe with the VESA specs in hand and the bottom plate used for the drive bay, you could get a machine shop to fabricate you something?

Last time I went to a machine shop to get the hole in a lamp base tapped/threaded for a different purpose, the cost was prohibitive...and that was basically just boring a larger threaded hole out of a smaller one. So your idea, while meritorious, might be a little more expensive than I'd be willing to go with, given the cost of arm already.

Barring that, I'd probably just buy a VESA mount plate and Velcro it to the bottom.

However, I appreciate the idea; thank you.
By DokBrown Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:39 pm
Someone has made it, u just gotta find them

When u do find it on the WWW, please post the link & save the next dude or gal some time . . . . . . . .
By Suspect Frequencies Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:44 pm
I have a 4 limb octopus setup with my Force mounted on a VESA arm. I made my own base from plywood mounted to the VESA plate to hold the Force. No Velcro required.
I have an 8 foot wide permanent height standing desk. I have a barstool height seat for when I’m sitting.
At the two ends on top are my 8” monitors. 10” sub is located below and under the desk. Starting on the left is a VESA arm holding a 27” monitor used as an external monitor full time for my iPad Air (can also be used for my laptop, etc), which is on the next VESA arm. On the third VESA arm is my Digitakt (audio runs into the iPad through AUM app for sounds and effects and sampling sources) then into the Force which is mounted on the 4th and final arm.
Each piece can be positioned low when I’m sitting, pulled up higher when standing. Pushed away when not using, pulled in closer when concentrating on it. This also leaves the entirety of the 6+ feet of open desk space for bringing in other gear/synths etc., that can be run into the Digitakt 1/4” ins which will also go through the ipad effects if desired, then into the Force. These instruments can be sampled in one of three places (or all three) - the iPad, the Digitakt, or the Force.
The open desk area can also be used for my computer, note taking, coffee, adult beverages, dinner, etc.
The Force mounted to the VESA arm was a complete game changer for me. Being able to comfortably position it, to be able sit up straight (or stand) without leaning/bending over to read and use the screen has negated the only thing I hated about the Force. I can have the screen in reach and at eye level no matter how I’m sitting or standing, and can make the Force fall but disappear when I want to use extraneous equipment on the table.
The way I have the force mounted allowed me to use it near vertical (80 deg angle) without fear of it falling out of its homemade mount. But rarely do I use it that steep. Usually a 60-70 degree angle when standing, and 40-50 degree angle when seated. Because I use a large VESA arm for the force, I can even lean back against the back rest of my stool, feet up on the lower shelf of the desk, and pull the Force out over my lap, resting on my thighs like you would casually use a laptop.
By EnochLight Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:15 pm
DannyMcO wrote:Has anybody found an easily-removable VESA adapter that would fit a Force? What is it?

Waldorf's Iridium and Kyra synths have them, and it gives them a lot of flexibility for both home and stage use as they can be put on to articulated arms. I kind of envision a "Doctor Octopus" setup with multiple controllers over time, but so far there aren't many synth or controller makers building in VESA.

If anyone has other, non-VESA options (including - gasp! - Velcro-ing the bottom to something) that allows use of some kind of articulated arm or gooseneck, would love to see pics of it.

$20-$31 USD on Amazon (Force is only 14" wide roughly and 8 & 1/2 pounds). You just need to supply your own VESA arm mount of choice:

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Universal- ... B06WW8NVTK

https://www.amazon.com/HumanCentric-Lap ... JVHF&psc=1
By Suspect Frequencies Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:24 am
Those front tabs are approximately 9.5-10 inches apart. That would place the right tab either over the headphone jack, or on top of the headphone volume knob. You don’t find that to be an issue when using your Force in this mount?
By EnochLight Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:14 pm
Suspect Frequencies wrote:Those front tabs are approximately 9.5-10 inches apart.

Are they? Close to impossible to tell from the photos and specs provided, IMHO.

Suspect Frequencies wrote:That would place the right tab either over the headphone jack, or on top of the headphone volume knob. You don’t find that to be an issue when using your Force in this mount?

I'm sure you can off-center it slightly to the right to clear both the volume knob as well as your headphone port (not that I would need either if it was sitting at my workstation). :wink:
By Suspect Frequencies Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:50 pm
Wasn’t hard at all to figure out, which is why I discarded that as an option when I was searching for something premade before deciding I had to make my own.
If you look at the product shots, and read the description, it shows the minimum width of the side clamps to be 9 1/2 inches when closed to its narrowest width. You can clearly see those front tabs are in line with where those side would rest, making those front tabs block the headphone in jack or press against the headphone volume knob. Neither of those options would be good.
While you could try and shift the whole thing to the side, it certainly wouldn’t be ideal.
Is that how you use it? How has your experience been using it like that?
I use my headphones all time to cross reference my mixes from my studio monitors. I also use SD cards to transfer samples from my computer and other gear to the Force, which would be blocked by shifting it to the right.
Overall a poor choice for my needs but might work for you.
By EnochLight Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:58 pm
Suspect Frequencies wrote:Wasn’t hard at all to figure out, which is why I discarded that as an option when I was searching for something premade before deciding I had to make my own.

So you never bought one of the products that I linked to even try first? I realize you had built your own by the time of this thread (nice video BTW!), but it sounds like you just wrote off those VESA laptop shelves just on your suspicion alone. That's fine, as you were able to build your own. Not all music producers are as handy at Home Depot, though. :wink:

Suspect Frequencies wrote:While you could try and shift the whole thing to the side, it certainly wouldn’t be ideal.

Why? I have my Force shifted slightly to the right when sitting it on my angled Standtastic 100TK wall mounts, just for this very reason. It works great. And those VESA side clamps actually "grab" the device, so even if you were shifting your VESA arm around, assuming you bought one that can handle the meger 8.5 pound weight of the Force, you would be fine IMHO.

Suspect Frequencies wrote:I use my headphones all time to cross reference my mixes from my studio monitors. I also use SD cards to transfer samples from my computer and other gear to the Force, which would be blocked by shifting it to the right.
Overall a poor choice for my needs but might work for you.

I have a permanent 1 TB SSD installed in my Force, and never use the SD Card slot (USB sticks FTW)! :lol: Admittedly, I suppose I would like access to the headphone out jack occasionally.
By nori Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:17 am
Suspect Frequencies wrote:Wasn’t hard at all to figure out, which is why I discarded that as an option when I was searching for something premade before deciding I had to make my own.

Can you post some pics of your custom made vesa mount?