Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By garikfox Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:34 pm
I was wondering what recording software do you all use to make your final song. Audacity or Pro Tools First ?

By Koekepan Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:04 pm
If I'm not just rendering everything inside the Force, I generally use Tascam DP-32SD.

Sounds good, high bitrate, normalises, renders to .WAV ... it works for me.
By garikfox Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:24 pm
Great thanks! too bad I just bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

By Koekepan Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:43 am
It's the same general idea, but smaller.

Basically, multichannel recorders with mixing and mastering capabilities have two different major numbers that you can check. The first is how many parallel channels they can take in. That Zoom R8 has two channels in (or one stereo channel) while the Tascam I have has eight (or four stereo).

The second is how many channels they can handle in a mix, and the Zoom there has a quarter the capacity of what my Tascam has. The Tascam also has a rather nice set of options for Send and so on - for about double the price of the R8.

I'm not saying that the R8 is bad; don't get me wrong. I'm saying that there's more overall power in the DP-32SD and more bang per buck as well. Both Tascam and Zoom have bigger and smaller options than the R8, down to jacket-pocket battery tools and up to the DP-32SD, which is the flagship. Then there are closely related tools that don't do as much for you in finishing terms, but will record live performances, such as the Zoom LiveTrak L-20 or the Tascam Model 16.
By garikfox Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:16 am
Awesome thanks! I'll have to save up for something like the Tascam though, that's heavy duty gear :worthy:
By Koekepan Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:58 pm
If you do get the Tascam, there's a shallow (i.e. slow, i.e. what most people call steep) learning curve on it, but there's an absolutely great set of tutorial videos done for it on youtube, so let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.
By garikfox Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:55 pm
Cool thanks Koekepan, I still have a lot to learn. It gets kind of overwhelming at times since audio in general is such a vast spectrum. I'm taking it slow as you noticed :)
By Koekepan Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:02 pm
You're very welcome.

As a side note, I'll point out that a major function of the DP-32SD (and its slightly smaller brother, the DP-24SD) is that it acts as a digital mixer, as well as recorder. You can handle panning, effects, EQ on every channel. It is a genuine beast of a tool that does lots of stuff with little menu-diving, and lots of direct controls.
By garikfox Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:34 pm
Thanks! :)