Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Koekepan Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:52 am
That would work perfectly. Not even kidding.

The only trick to it is knowing that, to hear what's going on through the Tascam, you'd want to activate the channels on which you're ingesting the Force. Basically, learn how the Portastudio works. But I've done exactly that in my own studio and it works like a charm.

It also means that you can then multitrack the Force, and do all sorts of cool things that the Force by itself won't easily do. I would call that arrangement leveling it up.

Another thing: you can simultaneously record 1,2,3 and 4 outputs from the Force, on the Tascam.

You can then also, for example, take a whole track from the Force, fully mix and master on the Tascam, and then take it back on SD card from the Tascam back to the force, and chop and screw it Force-style for a new track.

Really, the possibilities are huge.
By Koekepan Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:11 am
Replying to add:

There is a youtuber who did great tutorials for the Tascams, in case you want to look before you leap:

Phil Tipping

His tutorials are deep, and conscientious. They are worth every minute, and I highly recommend that you watch them.

I think that the first is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev_w-qP7IWk
By garikfox Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:19 pm
Thank you Koekepan, I can't wait to get it now lol. That's what I'll do is get the Tascam DP-24SD :worthy: :)
I'm going to order it hopefully Monday when the Mixers get picked up.

So the only thing the USB Interface is going to do for me is send balanced audio to my Force Line-In. Mainly for sampling.

I'm so glad I figured this out!

Tascam DP-24SD here I come! lol :)

By Koekepan Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:33 pm
Awesome!

Word of advice: The Tascam is not as complex as the Force, but it is a beast, and full of potency as tequila is of regret. It may be wise to grab a few sheets of paper and write down your own cheat sheets on how to do a few common things, like sending a track to an external device (The Force!) for sound effects, and then record it back into the Tascam on another stereo channel for later blending into the mix.

Eventually it will be second nature, but this will improve your experience so that you don't spend half an hour scratching your head and going through the manual again.
By garikfox Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:58 pm
Thanks! I'm currently watching Phil videos :)
By Koekepan Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:47 pm
I ripped his videos and saved them offline for reference. They're that good.

I also love how he starts from the position that it's a great big digital mixer, because that is a great way of thinking about it.

I like the tricks for lining up individual tracks, with just a soft click or something at the start so that even without a way to do MIDI timing, you can line up multiple tracks in parallel. Suddenly, the Force's internal limitations on parallel tracks have a workaround that doesn't involve flattening many of them - there are so many ways these two things are great in combination.
By garikfox Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 pm
Koekepan should i get the 32SD its the same price? weird lol
By Koekepan Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:14 am
Yes!

If you can get a DP-32SD over a DP-24SD, you should, simply because that extra 4 stereo channels just widens your possibilities a little more. Other than that, the only difference is more faders, more buttons, and slightly wider. For the same price, you'd be crazy not to.

It's somewhat wider, but slightly shorter than the Force. It's a fairly similar size, and the same stand will work pretty well on it. It will take the same class of SD card, and generally it's just a great tool. Maybe not everyone wants one, but when you see what it can do, it's amazing. I've done quite a few tracks just multitracking into it, and overdubbing myself in it.

Worth it. More channels on a mixer always are better. Double for a mastering/recording device.
By garikfox Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:06 am
Okay thanks, I will get the 32SD than.

This Phil Tipping guys voice is great! its like David Attenburough for Audio lol :)
By Koekepan Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:59 pm
He's also really good about explaining, providing visual aids, and then demonstrating the application of the principles.

Once you've absorbed all this, you're genuinely equipped to grab the Tascam, a bag of mics and cables, and going to do a demo recording of a band and delivering them a rough mix that same day. Take the Force along, and you can even use it as an additional instrument, or take the stems from the Tascam and chop them in the Force as you please.
By garikfox Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:07 pm
Yay! Ordered! $499 (I'm seriously thinking Amazon has the 24SD price for the 32SD) :-D

:worthy:

By Koekepan Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:09 pm
Awesome. With that and the Force, you'll have the kind of power that would have been a dream in the '80s, when many of our key sounds were shaped.
By garikfox Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 pm
Lol thanks!

I also got this too. A cover.

By garikfox Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:03 pm
Sad face.... It shipped on Saturday. Now it will be here on Wednesday :worthy: