Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Chrisbnz Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:20 am
Have had force for a week and have followed manual and some YouTube tutorials but my record process isn’t working. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
It seems really inconsistent.
So, I create a clip
Record settings show the length of clip I want and overdub mode on
I arm the track ok and the record icon appears at the top of the track
What ever I did the track won’t record the clip
I launch a scene, clip is highlighted, click record, says record to clip, but nothing happens. The clip plays through white. Can hear metronome

I’ve tried double tapping the clip then record. Same happens
I have managed to record some tracks but not others.

Tutorial says it should show overdub in clip pad but I can’t seem to get this to work consistently

What am I doing wrong?
Have I got something set up wrong or is my process wrong?

Very frustrating
By stujay Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:39 am
That video doesn't address the issue. He's only recording one-and-done in that example. I'm having the same problem as above -- I can record initially, but CANNOT overdub, even when recording setting is clearly on "overdub." Overdub will only work for me with the Force's internal synths. When I attach my class compliant Focusrite 18i20 interface and use an EXTERNAL synth, overdub is not possible, apparently. Which means that the Force, as good as it is, is going to go right back in the box. Unless someone can point me in the right direction... I hope it's me. Suspect it is, but if it isn't, I wasted my money.
By Hoekschop Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 am
AFAIK you can't overdub on audio tracks, you'll need to use the looper for that. I think it works the same as on the MPC Live. I'm quite new to the force so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
By misterflibble Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:02 pm
For posterity, I helped my man stujay out with this on Reddit. The solution is to record a MIDI clip until your performance is the way you want it, and then record that performance as audio into a clip or audio track.
By HouseWithoutMouse Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:09 am
You can record to an existing MIDI clip. Not to an existing AUDIO clip. If you cannot tell the difference, read the manual and watch basic tutorials. If you do know the difference, and you're trying to overdub to an existing MIDI clip, and what is explained in manuals and tutorials is doing a different thing on your Force than what you think it should be doing, please list the exact steps you're trying. Every single button and touchscreen press. Make sure your exlanation is in the following format:

1. WHAT YOU DID
- exact steps

2. WHAT HAPPENED
- exact description of what happened on the screen, with the audio, with button lights etc.

3. WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED IN YOUR OPINION
- description of what you think should have happened, according to the expectations you got from reading manuals, watching tutorials and what the device said on the screen
By NearTao Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:27 pm
If you're looking to overdub audio, you'll probably want to work with the Looper to record what you want, and then export to a clip once you are done.

Otherwise, yeah, all the tips with Midi are great.
By aobeezy415 Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:02 am
I been trying to figure this out for the past 2 months. Just now looking through the manual and found that you have to change a setting so that it will record sequences of how you expect the MPC to work. 1st time I'll admit that "RTFM" is necessary even for those of us who like to just dive in and work :WTF: :Sigh: .

Press and hold the REC button, select 'Settings' and follow the info listed below :

Use the Record Mode field to set how recording is initiated. When set to Pad, tap any pad while the track is armed to begin recording.

When set to REC Button or Pad, tap any pad while the track is armed to begin recording, or press the Record button to begin recording on the highlighted clip slot.

When set to REC Button then Pad, first press the record button, then tap any pad to begin recording. This is the default mode when Force is powered on.
By Lampdog Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:13 am
aobeezy415 wrote:….."RTFM" is necessary even for those of us who like to just dive in and work :WTF: :Sigh: ..

I didn’t know drag and drop in browse was a thing until years later, AFTER going thru the manual for the 50th time I ACTUALLY saw the instruction. :Sigh: