Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Koekepan Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:16 pm
BuleriaChk: I'm not the one whining about a product that I bought ages ago and returned because I didn't want to do mental arithmetic. But you keep carrying that torch, bud!

For everyone else: has anyone been able to compare the external audio compatibility with that of the MPC line yet?
By coffeesounds Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:34 pm
My assumption would be that it's the same underlying hardware and software (there is a hacked variant of the MPC-flavor OS that enables Force's features: https://github.com/TheKikGen/MPC-LiveXplore) so if it's compatible with the MPC, it will work with the Force.

Yes, it's somewhat baffling: technically both OS flavors should have the same features, and yet Force always lags - my assumption would be its because of the extra hardware controls that MPCs don't have, so more things have to be integrated with the hardware.
By Koekepan Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:58 pm
I get the impression that the Akaipro programmers are running parallel builds on the same codebase. That would explain the feature leapfrog strategy that they're displaying.

On the plus side, it means that the MPC fans can look forward with breathless anticipation to disc streaming, and strong confidence that it will happen in the next couple of months.

Maybe they'll get disc streaming for christmas?
By Ultros Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:43 pm
They are indeed using the same code base, their operating system is linux and both force and MPC firmwares use the same linux build. theres only a few details that differ. Some strings around the os and the daw software itself. However with the new force firmware came a new linux environment, it seems akai has updated the os this time. There's a new version of libc so no mpc force combo firmwares until MPC catches up. The combo firmware uses 2.10.0 mpc software and 3.0.6 force software for now as they both rely on the same version of libc.
By EnochLight Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:23 pm
BuleriaChk wrote:Still no triple meter (3/4) or at least loop length of 12 (as far as I can tell from the manual). Underwhelming, to say the least. NI's Maschine+ is eating Force's lunch. The guys that design Force are either idiots, or producing for a four-on-the-floor idiot base.

Just my opinion; idiots may differ... :)

Sure, because calling people "idiots" when they have a different opinion than you is surely a greaaaaaaaat approach.

As of Force 3.11, Maschine+ is a piece of crap trying to play catch up compared to what Force can do. You know that, and it's eating you alive. LMAO :nod: :lol: :lol: :lol: Such butt hurt, it's adorable.

BuleriaChk wrote:Methinks he doth protest too much ..... :)

He makes far better points than you ever did. :nod: :popcorn:
By Koekepan Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:49 pm
Enochlight: out of a sort of combination of boredom and amusement, and to check on his whining, I went through BuleriaChk's post history and as far as I can tell he had, and returned a Force a year ago or more.

And he is still madder than a wet hen about it!

Yup, a year with multiple updates including one so cool that the Force is now a credible studio hub with a stack of cool features and sweet functions, and this whole situation is eating him alive like an anaconda that didn't bother to constrict him first.

Amazing.

Anyway, on a more relevant level: Pincho-Paxton, there are multiple versions of the update, including for running on Windows, Mac, or directly from a USB stick. Which one did you grab and what is happening?

Ultros: I'm pleased with that news. Quite likely a libc update will improve general stability and possibly even performance, so it's good to know that Akai's programmers are taking care of business, even if it's temporarily inconvenient to the hacking end.
By Ultros Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:56 pm
Koekepan wrote:Ultros: I'm pleased with that news. Quite likely a libc update will improve general stability and possibly even performance, so it's good to know that Akai's programmers are taking care of business, even if it's temporarily inconvenient to the hacking end.

hehe yeah it is what it is, i wont need to keep hacking at stuff if akai keeps up the good work. :D
By Pincho-Paxton Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:56 am
Koekepan wrote:Anyway, on a more relevant level: Pincho-Paxton, there are multiple versions of the update, including for running on Windows, Mac, or directly from a USB stick. Which one did you grab and what is happening?

I grabbed the Windows Download, and it doesn't include the plugins. However I did eventually find them in my Akai Registration Page. So now I have them.
By coffeesounds Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:31 pm
Ultros wrote:They are indeed using the same code base, their operating system is linux and both force and MPC firmwares use the same linux build. theres only a few details that differ. Some strings around the os and the daw software itself. However with the new force firmware came a new linux environment, it seems akai has updated the os this time. There's a new version of libc so no mpc force combo firmwares until MPC catches up. The combo firmware uses 2.10.0 mpc software and 3.0.6 force software for now as they both rely on the same version of libc.

Interesting - that might be one of the reasons for the delay: Q&A stage took more time (from what I remember all the new features were available in beta builds of the Force OS, and it was quite unstable).

What grinds my gears is the lack of any sane interop between MPC app, MPC OS and Force OS-flavor: I understand that the sequence+tracks+programs doesn't translate 100% to Force's session+clip project structure (which I prefer over the MPC workflow), but the fact that I cannot just open an MPC project in the Force (with automatic conversion of sequence and tracks into scenes and clips at least) is silly.

As a software engineer I just look at all of this and it feels like Force's sequencer is like a V2 of the one in MPC and some code is missing to move smoothly between them (e.g. in Force, two drum program tracks cannot use the same program, which is possible on the MPC) - so it makes me hopeful that the MPC will move to the Force/Ableton Live-like session+clips mode some time in the future.

(rant over)

At least now Force can load MIDI files as clips, so it's technically possible to convert MPC projects into Force projects with some work (haven't tried it yet though).
By Koekepan Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:09 pm
Coffeesounds: I guess the thing here is that the MPCs let you change sound sources across tracks, because the Force doesn't really have that, so I would speculate that that inhibits direct translation.

I like the Force, don't get me wrong, but in this sense it adheres more closely to the Ableton model.
By Straker Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:48 pm
Why all this discussion about Flamenco?
Calm down, Dan said Akai is working on a "Flamenco Force", totally dedicated to Flamenco lovers that apparently like Akai Force a lot because Force workflow and Flamenco style can go together well.
There will also be a Cameron de la Isla sticker on the new Flamenco Force but if you want you can ask Akai to switch to a Julio Iglesias sticker.
Release time around Christmas under the Christmas tree.
By Koekepan Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:47 am
Straker: Apparently BuleriaChk is a deep flamenco master with a serious hard-on for 6/8 time who can't handle clips in odd sizes or mental arithmetic, so now he wants us all to be pissed off because he can't get what he wants.

As far as I can tell he sits at home staining his Maschine+ with his salty tears because Akai Professional isn't listening, and we don't care.

I think that's really the only time I've seen flamenco mentioned here, so ... you be the judge, I guess.
By misterflibble Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:04 pm
Koekepan wrote:Coffeesounds: I guess the thing here is that the MPCs let you change sound sources across tracks, because the Force doesn't really have that, so I would speculate that that inhibits direct translation.

I like the Force, don't get me wrong, but in this sense it adheres more closely to the Ableton model.

I for one am really hoping that Akai addresses this in a future Force update. There is no reason why Force tracks couldn’t share programs the same way that MPC tracks share programs.