Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By pitchblender Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:06 pm
I know it's early days but thought this might help someone out there.

As usual the updates in the manual must have been written by someone who was always last minute with their homework, and it's missing lots of info. For example I think the word 'Master' is now taboo so it's now 'Global' on the MIDI preferences screen...

Just tried assigning various MIDI controllers to the Force and here are a few gripes:

- each project has its own MIDI mappings so unless you do a template project first it'll take ages to program. If you have lots of project already, I'd advise doing a master template project and exporting each project's tracks then importing into template project as new track. This is theoretical as I've not tried it... yet
- even a template project is gonna be a PITA, I'm going for 8 x audio tracks then 8 x plugin tracks then 8 x drum tracks as the K-Mix has 3 x MIDI modes with only 8 x physical sliders.
- you can't send the same MIDI message to a controller with MIDI responsive LEDs so they don't light up if they need a message to do so. The K-Mix is fine in MIDI mode with mute toggling LED but the X:ONE K2 and Novation Launch Control don't light up at all, and there's no option for doing this. It's a pity coz the LEDs of the main sliders of the K-Mix only follow the physical K-Mix slider positions. Other apps/devices have told the K-Mix where the slider is and updated the LEDs in realtime but I couldn't get the Force to do this at all. For instance, In the Algoriddim DJay app they've developed a great MIDI programming screen for instantly sending back CC/note data to external LEDs. Akai take note.
- I couldn't MIDI allocate any of the master effects.

There's lots yet to discover so feel free to correct me / add to this if you want.

Cheers all
By Ultros Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:58 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:Are the Matrix, Mixer and Note buttons also mappable to external controllers?

Zangetsu, there is no "controller" mode in the force midi setup (or wasnt in 3.0.6) so you cant actually use an external controller with it in the same manner as the mpc software. So even if you do map it in a midi map and tell it to load it in the mpc.settings configuration, it doesn't do anything in the force software.

TheKikGen had a good idea with what he did, he intercepted the midi from a controller and redirected it to the internal midi interface that the software relies on for global controls.

I havent done it because i'm a pretty lazy programmer and i gotta do some reading about alsa. TheKikGen is a smart dude and made a "preload" library that does the task. I've not used it but the source and the instructions are on his github.
By Koekepan Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:36 pm
Yes, this is part of the MIDI learn function that they have in the new update. I'm not sure whether this covers macros as well, because as I sit here I haven't tried, but I would imagine that it could.

I must admit that, with the control options that the Q-links offer me, I never felt a huge need for external controllers, but it's nice to have a wide range of options. I can also use my Behringer BCR2000 to run a whole bunch of parameters at once.
By zangetsu01 Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:36 pm
The reason I ask is because we are using the Hakai firmware on the MPC. (Hacked version of force's firmware). And if it's possible to map those controls (matrix, mixer, Note, etc.) to an midi controller it might become a gamechanger to us in the near future.

Can you guys confirm?
By Pablo M. Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:57 pm
hi
I add my main problem with external midi mapping...
I am finishing my work template, very complete, for production, with midi mapping, fx, etc
But i have a very big problem. When i load a kit, or a keygroup, Force overrides my insert fx, and put it empty or another fx, and i loose also my midi mapping related to that insert fx, just for loading a different kit or keygroup....
This is very annoying.....

a suggestion for this could be a dialog that gives the chance for choosing 'Load track with Fx' or ?without fx' when loading