Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By brunnpas Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:30 am
Dear all

Happy to be on this forum. I've grown up with MPC 500 & MPC 1000 for beat production, recently I just got the AKAI FORCE for live performance to replace my Ableton session and become laptop-free on stage.

I'd like to control my live stage lights (DMX) using a dedicated MIDI channel and some kind of interface (non-laptop). In Ableton it was easy, using the Enttec DMXIS device + VST plugin did the job. However, in Force it might be a bit trickier. Any recommendation how I can steer DMX directly from Force?

Thank you & cheers
By Koekepan Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:47 pm
It depends on what your DMX interface is, and whether it has a MIDI input or not, and what the spec is.

What's your current setup? Do you have a hardware model number for us? Does it recognise MIDI CCs and notes? If it does, this should be a snap.
By brunnpas Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:29 am
Hi

Thank you for your reply. I have these two at hand:
Enttec DMX USB Pro
Enttec DMXIS

Unfortunately (according to specs) they both require software to work. I doubt to get the software running on Force.

I‘ve searched a bit and found dartmobo (based on arduino) MIDI2DMX converter as a solution that should work. Any alternatives?
By Koekepan Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:57 pm
Does the software allow you to set MIDI controllers that then continue to work if you take the computer out of the setup? If so, the note designations should continue to work from the Force.

If not - well, them's the breaks and you need an explicit MIDI/DMX gateway.
By brunnpas Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:25 pm
unfortunately it does not. I'm gonna try out some straight Midi 2 DMX solutions/interfaces or maybe build my own ;)

Thanks and cheers