Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By EnochLight Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:17 pm
Tray wrote:I understand that the internal drive is limited in space and contains all of the factory defaults so it should not be messed with lightly…

It shouldn't be messed with at all. Treat it as a read-only drive. FULL STOP.

Tray wrote: Just curious where new synth content falls in that scheme. I have not downloaded them yet, so perhaps it’s not even an option to install them on the internal drive,.

That's correct, for the typical MPC/Force users, it isn't possible. The internal factory storage doesn't show up as removable storage when in Computer Mode. You'd need to SSH into it & do some janky workarounds. As MPC-Tutor said, use a large capacity SD Card and call it a day. :nod: Or - assuming you have a Force since this is the Force forum, buy a decent SSD, install it on the bottom, and install everything to that. You'll get the best disc-streaming performance moving your temp folder to that anyway.
By Tray Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:39 pm
EnochLight wrote:
Tray wrote:I understand that the internal drive is limited in space and contains all of the factory defaults so it should not be messed with lightly…

It shouldn't be messed with at all. Treat it as a read-only drive. FULL STOP.

Tray wrote: Just curious where new synth content falls in that scheme. I have not downloaded them yet, so perhaps it’s not even an option to install them on the internal drive,.

That's correct, for the typical MPC/Force users, it isn't possible. The internal factory storage doesn't show up as removable storage when in Computer Mode. You'd need to SSH into it & do some janky workarounds. As MPC-Tutor said, use a large capacity SD Card and call it a day. :nod: Or - assuming you have a Force since this is the Force forum, buy a decent SSD, install it on the bottom, and install everything to that. You'll get the best disc-streaming performance moving your temp folder to that anyway.

Cool, I have ‘t installed the synths yet, so I was not sure if it would give me that option, but wanted to know how to answer the question, just in case.

I did not realize that it required workarounds to store things on the internal drive… I just thought it must be a common mistake since I saw many warnings in multiple posts (on various sites). Nice to know it’s actually hard to do by accident.

I am definitely planning on dropping an SSD into the FORCE, so putting them on that will work for me… As soon as disc-streaming was added I knew an SSD would be the way to go, this just increases it’s usefulness.

Thanks for all the help and info, it is very much appreciated!
By EnochLight Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:23 pm
Tray wrote:Cool, I have ‘t installed the synths yet, so I was not sure if it would give me that option, but wanted to know how to answer the question, just in case.

I did not realize that it required workarounds to store things on the internal drive… I just thought it must be a common mistake since I saw many warnings in multiple posts (on various sites). Nice to know it’s actually hard to do by accident.

I am definitely planning on dropping an SSD into the FORCE, so putting them on that will work for me… As soon as disc-streaming was added I knew an SSD would be the way to go, this just increases it’s usefulness.

Thanks for all the help and info, it is very much appreciated!

To be clear, it's easy to save Projects, samples, etc on the Internal factory storage - from the Force (or MPC) itself - this is what everyone is warning about. What is very difficult and not intuitive (and requires janky workarounds) is accessing the Internal factory storage from your computer in Computer Mode to backup or transfer said data back and forth (which requires some janky SSH fun) - which is yet another reason why it should just be treated as a "read only" drive. :nod: That and the obvious extremely limited size of the Internal factory storage.