Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By andreat668 Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:58 pm
I am trying to send midi out from Force to my iPhone/iPad.
It works with wired connections, mainly midi-usb mini interface and camera connection kit.
Unfortunately It seems I am not able to make it work via a wi-fi network and Ableton Link.
I tried controlling synths in Ableton on my MacBook via Force and wi-fi and it works.
Now I am wondering if this is even remotely doable on IOS.
Is there anything similar to the Akai Network Midi program on IOS.
Anyone succeed at all?
By andreat668 Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:19 am
I went old school with proper cabling at the end...:)
If someone is interested bought this on Amazon and it is working flawlessly:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1
Also you need this: https://www.amazon.de/DigitalLife-USB-M ... NrPXRydWU=

And last this: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Posugear-Bra ... r=8-3&th=1

I would say this method works pretty amazing, I am also able to send midi to iPhone/iPad, record into Force and charging at the same time.
By EnochLight Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:12 pm
Glad you got things sorted!

andreat668 wrote:Unfortunately It seems I am not able to make it work via a wi-fi network and Ableton Link.

Ableton Link is specifically just to synchronize transports/playback in apps that support it - and that's it. Force works great with iOS apps that support Ableton Link - at least it does on my WiFi.
By pitchblender Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:22 am
You might have problems with that generic dongle. I did after a couple of weeks. I ended up spending £40 for a brand new Apple Lightning to USB-3 adapter (it has USB oblong slot and lightning charge port but no headphone out, so you'd have to use a USB hub with audio interface plus MIDI-USB cable thing, or just use an audio interface with MIDI sockets built in. I got another identical dongle for cheap £10 used for another phone.

I just now tried connecting iphone 6s (the last one to have a headphone out) to the Force using Bluetooth MIDI and got Troublemaker TB-303 app playing the Force's Bassline synth with no wires! There's a tiny bit of latency but it's got potential... I usually use cables to avoid this but it might be useful for something in future. Using AUM app which I recommend for iOS/iPadOS for starters as it's total MIDI & audio control in yr pocket.
WEIRD THING - pressing SHIFT on the Force plays & cuts out notes with this setup!

Anyways hope ye get some results :)
By andreat668 Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:49 am
EnochLight wrote:Glad you got things sorted!

andreat668 wrote:Unfortunately It seems I am not able to make it work via a wi-fi network and Ableton Link.

Ableton Link is specifically just to synchronize transports/playback in apps that support it - and that's it. Force works great with iOS apps that support Ableton Link - at least it does on my WiFi.

My bad, I never used Ableton Link, I thought I could send/receive wireless midi with it.
pitchblender wrote:You might have problems with that generic dongle. I did after a couple of weeks. I ended up spending £40 for a brand new Apple Lightning to USB-3 adapter (it has USB oblong slot and lightning charge port but no headphone out, so you'd have to use a USB hub with audio interface plus MIDI-USB cable thing, or just use an audio interface with MIDI sockets built in. I got another identical dongle for cheap £10 used for another phone.

I just now tried connecting iphone 6s (the last one to have a headphone out) to the Force using Bluetooth MIDI and got Troublemaker TB-303 app playing the Force's Bassline synth with no wires! There's a tiny bit of latency but it's got potential... I usually use cables to avoid this but it might be useful for something in future. Using AUM app which I recommend for iOS/iPadOS for starters as it's total MIDI & audio control in yr pocket.
WEIRD THING - pressing SHIFT on the Force plays & cuts out notes with this setup!

Anyways hope ye get some results :)

Thanks for the detailed info, actually I am going to give it a go (I got AUM).