Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Koekepan Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:11 am
And just like that, you reduced your required throughput per stream by 50%, without changing the latency (although obviously headroom and noise floor were affected).

USB 2.0 caps out at 480Mbps, with USB 3.0 running up to 5Gbps. By my eyeball, 64 channels all going at once (32 in and 32 out) at 24bit, 44.1KHz, would pretty much flood out USB 3.0 in each direction. Given that it's full duplex, it's theoretically possible but you'd be riding that pony pretty hard.

I think that picking 16 bits is the smart choice.
By hahnice Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:50 pm
Behringer Xenyx QX1832 USB
Works fine in USB Stereo 1/2 mode. No multitracking though.
Stereo record with monitor return through CTRL Room volume control.
No popping or clicking
By Koekepan Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:54 am
Cool. I have the X1832USB, so it's good to know that works. Still, with the UMC1820 I don't know that I'll have a use for it.
By misterflibble Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:41 pm
sonicsnares wrote:I might have found a solution for my clicks problem. I did 2 things:

1. in the audio settings I went to 16bit instead of 24bit, and I turned off the auto warp function
2. I used an USB cable from elektron digitone - this synth also sends lots of information via overbridge, so I assumed the USB cable is capable of sending many audio I/Os at the same time.

running the setup for hours without a single click. I guess it really is crucial to take a super high quality USB cable...

Thanks, I'm going to test this out with my XR18 when I have some time.

There's another big thread going on audio interface issues over here. It's mostly MPC users but since the hardware is the same (and the software for USB support is likely very similar) I thought I should share here too.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=211654
By misterflibble Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:57 pm
I tested out a recording with the following settings under Preferences > AUDIO/EXPORT.

RECORDING BIT DEPTH: 16
AUDIO TRACKS AUTO-WARP: Off

I still get clicks in the recording. I can also hear the click happen during the recording if I have input monitoring turned on. If I have input monitoring turned off and just listen to the input signal from the XR18's headphone jack, I don't hear the click.

For posterity, I also had BOUNCE/EXTRACT BIT DEPTH set to 24 but I didn't think this was related to recording so I just left it as is.
By NordicBaron Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:10 pm
Just got the Maudio Air 192-14
So far having a few issues.
Got it working great self powered with no USB with synths routed through rear mono channels x4
Main out to speakers and the akai force into line 7/8.
Got a blended master output for now.

Tried using with Force. It does detect it.
When trying to play a hype, it gets patchy like the notes are not being pressed and the odd intermittent note.

I'm trying to find out, if I plug it into PC, and make settings on the air, will it keep those settings when I plug into back into force?

It's a wicked card, but I'm struggling to get it how I wanted. Which is run the audio from my synths into the Air inputs, pick those inputs on the force and able to record the audio..

It must be possible, if anyone knows and I'm missing something stupidly obvious, let it rip..

I've got sturn shoulders lol
By NordicBaron Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:38 pm
OK, so it's now working via USB.
Changed to 32 in out.
Let's me now select the inputs. I'm running a skulpt to 1/4" line 1 on soundcard. Audio track open on force set to mono 1.
Only thing is, the input on the card is really low, I don't understand why, if you crank input gain it causes noise before signal boosts.
This is even with skupt on max volume.

Results in the audio in on the Force being a really weak signal too.

Any thoughts?
By NordicBaron Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:42 pm
If I put it in the front guitar ports the signal is fine. But that then disqualifies the rear 4 inputs due to low level... think lad think..

Right so oddly, I pulled the stereo cable slightly out of the output of skulpt... more signal.. Good sign, shame for the line out on skulpt but it works.

OK it's not the output is it. Its the cable.
I'm using a stereo jack 1/4 to stereo jack 3.5.
I pull the Jack's out so it's effectively mono and then signal boosts.

Right so use a standard guitar cable out the circuit tracks into mono input 3, signal is bang on.

What am I missing, can I not send a stereo signal to the 4 line inputs on the 192-14..
Or are they only line in stereo pairs...

Right, so ive plugged 1/4 stereo from output to 3+4 input. Signal is there. But when I select 3+4 in on the Force its a mono signal not stereo, change force input to just 3 mono and it gives stereo signal.

Somebody with a brain, tell me what I'm missing on the stereo mono mishap please?

But I can now confirm M Audio Air 192-14 does work on USB to force, all 6 mono inputs are on inputs 1-6 and the stereo line in on the comes up on 7+8.

What is puzzling is that the force volume control does nothing due to it being on usb. I could send force to 7+8 stereo line from 1+2 on force. That would enable volume for force. Otherwise its master volume is on the Air device. Would this then cause a clash with USB audio playing and the 1+2 master outs going to the input of the device.

BTW 7+8 seems to have no volume or gain on the actual Air, it acts like stereo thru. I will try now and find out.

OK, so now I now the master out on force 1+2 don't send signal when using USB audio.

What about 3+4... I've changed out put Jack's to 3+4 on force, gone through all output options, no sound either.

So from what I can grasp, USB audio renders the forces outputs mute.

The air 192 14 does have 2 stereo outs though, also used for dual headphone out.

Hope some of this random, live testing and typing gives any useless info lol
By Koekepan Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:18 pm
Well, at least we know it's not the interface's fault! That sounds like a success.
By nori Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:32 am
I was also looking at that card, so great to get some feedback that it works!

All the inputs on the maudio are mono so if you select input channel 1 on Force, it will play the signal in both speakers but in mono. You can test the signal is mono by sending a signal with chorus or other stereo fx.

If you now change to channel 1/2 on Force, then it expects a mono pair for input which Force interpretes as stereo and since you only are providing one signal the signal will only play out on one speaker.

When you change the audio interface on Force, then that is the interface you are using for all ins/outs and the builtin Force audio interface is disabled. So inputs/outputs/knob volume/headphone controls wont work.

Hope that helps!
By AXOB Mon May 02, 2022 12:59 pm
Presonus StudioLive 3 32SC(latest firmware):

Error: Could not get PCM hardware configuration from device. Code: -22
By HouseWithoutMouse Thu May 19, 2022 8:38 am
I just noticed that the MPC and Force user guides say:
You can now use most audio interfaces that are both USB class-compliant and Linux class-compliant with your standalone ...

So, Linux class-compliant. I wonder how many audio interface manufacturers advertise their product as being "Linux class-compliant". I didn't know that was even a thing.
By tomatoattack Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:36 am
I have a question (still not Force user but soon...).

Is there a way for me to (example) connect Behringer UMC1820 to the Force via USB. This way I can use UMC outs and Ins routed to my Force (or out of my Force). I get that this is fine.

What I am trying to wrap my head around is this: is it possible then to have a signal which is coming out of Behringer - to be present in my computer in realtime, streamed. Like UMC was connected to my computer to begin with.

So when I press play in Force I hear audio coming from the interface on headphones out, but also I can route, monitor and record (and process) all those channels in my computer as well.

Note that I am perfectly aware that the Force can mix and process everything in itself. But I have dozens of HW synths, HW fx and drum machines and I am trying to wrap my head around AKAI force USB class compliant support.

In my simple mind I guess I could purchase an additional USB interface which would be solely used to be connected to my computer and then accepting signals out from UMC. Right?

Another way would be to purchase something like this :

https://www.ferrofish.com/a32pro/

And two of these (assuming they are class compliant):

https://www.rme-audio.de/madiface-usb.html

One would be connected to my Force and then first 32 audio channels would be streamed to a A32Pro and it's first SFP port, and then

a second Madiface USB would be connected to my computer accepting all A32Pro signals routed from the second SFP port into my computer. But I am unsure would that work, I mean I am unsure would A32Pro
be able to send all signals to second SFP so computer could "accept" stream of audio from A32.

A32Pro is about to be released.

Was wondering how do you guys implement HW devices into Force and then at the same time if you want to record everything into your computer how?

I guess I just record stems into Force and then export them later for fine polish into DAW the old way - track by track?

Or as I said - two interfaces one connected into another which is connected to a computer?

This thread confused the hell out of me as it sounds to me that you can somehow stream audio from a single interface which is connected to USB (MPC though) onto the DAW itself:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=213732
By Koekepan Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:09 pm
Tomatoattack:

From what I understand, what you want to do is to have many I/O ports on your Force, some of which then also lead out to your computer, while you monitor them on headphones.

For this, you would want two interfaces. One for the Force, that enables it to suck in and push out a lot of channels. The UMC1820 does this well.

The other is for the computer, enabling the computer to suck in (and possibly send out) a lot of channels. Another UMC1820 would do that.

One UMC1820 would connect to the Force over USB. One UMC1820 would connect to the computer over USB.

I think that the Ferrofish would be overkill for your needs.