Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By pmodzele Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:58 am
Hi,

I'm brand new to to all of this so I apologize for the newbie question. I have a Roland Fantom X8 and I'm trying to connect it to the Force to record my music.

What's the best way to connect it, using the audio output or using MIDI?
Can I connect my keyboard to the Force and then connect the Force to my amp and have the sound pass through even when I'm not recording a clip?

Thanks for your help!
By Koekepan Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:35 pm
Newbie questions are welcome, don't sweat it.

The correct answer to your question largely depends on what your goals are. But it is quite possible to connect the Force's MIDI to the Fantom's, and also send audio from the Fantom through the Force at the same time.

You can definitely connect the Fantom to the Force, and the Force to your amp. The way to do this is to create an Audio track, which takes the audio input ports as its source. This then goes through the Force's internal virtual mixer, and you can do whatever you want with it, pretty much.

So, in short: game on! (I'm not terribly familiar with the Fantom's USB function, so I don't think that it will do USB MIDI. For your scenario, this doesn't sound like a problem.)
By pmodzele Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:03 am
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

In regards to recording using both audio and MIDI, is it possible to record the sounds and MIDI data so the it shows up on the Force the same way it does on my Fantom? Meaning I can easily edit and move notes around later if I need to?

Thanks again.
By Koekepan Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:50 pm
The easiest way of doing what you're describing is to sequence the Fantom from the Force.

Here's the simple version:

Hook up the Force and Fantom with MIDI cables, so that the Fantom can be your input keyboard for the Force, but so that the Force can also send MIDI note data to the Fantom. Now, hook up the Fantom's audio outputs to the Force's audio inputs.

Now, create an audio track on the Force and link it to the inputs from the Fantom. This is your way of bringing the Fantom's sounds in, and affecting them with the Force's mixer and effects chain, as well as recording the Fantom's output in the Force (should you wish to).

Now create as many MIDI tracks on the Force, as channels you want to drive on the Fantom. Let's say, four tracks for a basic band texture (one drums, one bass, one rhythm guitar, one lead). Set them up to drive four channels of MIDI outbound to the Fantom. You can also use the Fantom's keyboard to play through the Force, so that you can record the MIDI stream on the Force, though using the Fantom's keys.

After recording whatever you want to play in, you can adapt it however you wish on the Force. Quantise, humanise, move notes, change velocity, MIDI CCs, pretty much whatever you want. You could even use the Force's internal sequencing options to do the same.

I just did almost the same thing with a KORG Kross, although in my case I used USB MIDI and routed the audio through my Tascam DP-32SD.

It's very possible.