Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By EnochLight Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:49 am
stujay wrote:Hi team. I'm trying to use Force to play some other synths using Force's pads. Moog Matriarch, Dreadbox Typhon, etc. When I tap a pad on the Force, it will not release. Each note is held forever until I kill the project, turn off the Force, etc. Any ideas? Maddening. Thanks.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMWjTyEMWzQ

Sounds/looks like you have a MIDI feedback loop going on. Tell us more about your actual setup - are you running the MIDI out from your Matriarch or Typhon back into your Force via 5-pin DIN? Are you using USB-MIDI? What are your MIDI settings in Force (post a screen shot)...

I use Force to control my Dreadbox Typhon all of the time, and the only time I've ever had a problem is if I accidentally ran a MIDI feedback loop.
By stujay Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:01 am
Thanks for the response! It's working now -- I looked at settings, saw that "Filter 'all notes off' CC" was unchecked. So I checked it, and I'm not having that problem anymore. New problem, though...I'm using my Focusrite 18i20 interface with the Force. It's connected, and when I play any synth, the mixer on the Force shows that sound is coming through. However, I can't get any sound out of the headphone jack, and I'm not able to engage a clip to record. My goal is to record in Overdub mode. Overdub still works with internal synth tracks, drum tracks, etc. But I can't record my synths. And I can only get sound out of my studio's speakers. Nothing from the headphones. I'm losing my mind with this thing today. :(
By stujay Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:04 am
Here's a video of the latest problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQxIhuTR1BU You'll see that the right-two tracks, a drum track and internal synth track, engage for recording properly. The yellow track, my Moog Matriarch, can't be recorded. Only played and heard.

As for the headphone jack, the volume knob is turned up. When I just use Force internal (as opposed to external interface), the headphone jack works just fine. Perhaps when using an interface you can only use the interface's headphone jack/outputs? That's fine, if that's the case. The bigger issue is not being able to engage an external synth clip to record. When it does seemingly randomly engage to record, it's not in overdub mode. Thanks in advance for any tips/tricks/things I'm clearly missing.
By stujay Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:12 am
Update -- when I tap a pad to create a new clip on an external synth, it'll immediately start to record for the length of the clip, then that's it -- there's no more ability to overdub, re-record, etc. Can only delete and try again.
By EnochLight Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:25 am
1. Any UBS Class Compliant audio interface you use will assume all audio i/o, so your Force headphone out jack won't work. Plug your headphones into the USB audio interface that you are using.
2. Force doesn't overdub audio into Clips - if the Clip restarts during recording, then any recorded audio is overwritten. If you need to overdub, you have to use the Looper. Force does allow you to overdub MIDI, though (which is all of the internal plugins, Keygroups, and Drum Programs).
By stujay Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:50 am
Thank you. Yes, today I did figure out the headphone bit (oops! Should have been easy for me to figure that out!), but I'm really bummed that I have to use that looper instead of overdub for audio. I'm not having success exporting finished loops into the audio track clips. What's timed perfectly in the looper becomes a hot mess once exported. Failing.