Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By whoistherealjay Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:24 am
So my Akai Force's outputs quit on me a little while back, however the timing couldnt have been better as it happened right after the firmware update which allows for an external usb interface/mixer to be used instead of the forces internal device. Ive always felt the force's I/O selection was not so great, so i would probably be doing it this way even if the onboard I/O's hadnt crapped out. There's a question here somewhere, i promise.......Soooo anyway, my question is has anyone out there connected a dj mixer to the Akai Force AS AN EXTERNAL SOUND DEVICE? I currently have a traktor S4 as the external sound device sending audio out of the force. I was hoping when i connected the S4, i would be able to use the S4 as i would if it were connected to a computer. Does anyone know if this is possible with any other dj mixer on the market? If this is not possible i would love some advice on the bbest way(s) to use a a Dj mixer with the Akai Force. thanks
By EnochLight Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:19 pm
whoistherealjay wrote:So my Akai Force's outputs quit on me a little while back, however the timing couldnt have been better as it happened right after the firmware update which allows for an external usb interface/mixer to be used instead of the forces internal device. Ive always felt the force's I/O selection was not so great, so i would probably be doing it this way even if the onboard I/O's hadnt crapped out. There's a question here somewhere, i promise.......Soooo anyway, my question is has anyone out there connected a dj mixer to the Akai Force AS AN EXTERNAL SOUND DEVICE? I currently have a traktor S4 as the external sound device sending audio out of the force. I was hoping when i connected the S4, i would be able to use the S4 as i would if it were connected to a computer. Does anyone know if this is possible with any other dj mixer on the market? If this is not possible i would love some advice on the bbest way(s) to use a a Dj mixer with the Akai Force. thanks

Any audio device you use must be USB Class Compliant, so if your dj mixer isn't that, it won't work. That said, you can pick up an affordable USB Class Compliant audio interface, use THAT with Force, and then plug any dj mixer into that as a workaround. Just keep in mind that any USB Class Compliant interface takes over all i/o duties from Force, including the headphone out.
By whoistherealjay Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:46 am
EnochLight wrote:
whoistherealjay wrote:So my Akai Force's outputs quit on me a little while back, however the timing couldnt have been better as it happened right after the firmware update which allows for an external usb interface/mixer to be used instead of the forces internal device. Ive always felt the force's I/O selection was not so great, so i would probably be doing it this way even if the onboard I/O's hadnt crapped out. There's a question here somewhere, i promise.......Soooo anyway, my question is has anyone out there connected a dj mixer to the Akai Force AS AN EXTERNAL SOUND DEVICE? I currently have a traktor S4 as the external sound device sending audio out of the force. I was hoping when i connected the S4, i would be able to use the S4 as i would if it were connected to a computer. Does anyone know if this is possible with any other dj mixer on the market? If this is not possible i would love some advice on the bbest way(s) to use a a Dj mixer with the Akai Force. thanks

Any audio device you use must be USB Class Compliant, so if your dj mixer isn't that, it won't work. That said, you can pick up an affordable USB Class Compliant audio interface, use THAT with Force, and then plug any dj mixer into that as a workaround. Just keep in mind that any USB Class Compliant interface takes over all i/o duties from Force, including the headphone out.

My Dj mixer is class compliant, as well as the other 5 interfaces ive used as external sound devices for the akai force. Maybe read my entire post before attempting to answer my question. thank you
By NearTao Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:21 pm
whoistherealjay wrote:My Dj mixer is class compliant, as well as the other 5 interfaces ive used as external sound devices for the akai force. Maybe read my entire post before attempting to answer my question. thank you

You got a generically factual and helpful response, and instead of taking the time to respond with to clarify what it is you want, instead decided to say "read my entire post".

I have read your entire post and it reads like stream of consciousness instead of getting to the point and actually having a real question. But sure...

whoistherealjay wrote:has anyone out there connected a dj mixer to the Akai Force AS AN EXTERNAL SOUND DEVICE?

Yes, people have connected a dj mixer to the Akai Force as an external sound device, and it will work if they are class compliant audio devices.

whoistherealjay wrote:Does anyone know if this is possible with any other dj mixer on the market?

Yes, this is possible with other dj mixers on the market that are class compliant audio devices.

Reasons it may not work seem to be related to class compliant audio devices that do not operate at 44.1khz and 16bit, and there has been an indication that audio buffer size is a problem. If you cannot change these settings on the device, the Force doesn't seem to set them and just expects it to work... so without a firmware update for the Force, it is currently hit or miss.

You already knew all of this though, so I fail to see what the actual question is other than this.

whoistherealjay wrote:If this is not possible i would love some advice on the bbest way(s) to use a a Dj mixer with the Akai Force

It is possible, so not really a clear reason to respond to this. And if you asked for what the best way(s) to use a DJ mixer with the Akai Force, this is going to be entirely dependent on your workflow.

Explain what it is you are trying to do, what outcome or workflow you are looking for, and you might get some help. Nobody is going to be able to intuit what it is you are really trying to get for information otherwise.
By whoistherealjay Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:07 pm
NearTao wrote:
whoistherealjay wrote:My Dj mixer is class compliant, as well as the other 5 interfaces ive used as external sound devices for the akai force. Maybe read my entire post before attempting to answer my question. thank you

You got a generically factual and helpful response, and instead of taking the time to respond with to clarify what it is you want, instead decided to say "read my entire post".

I have read your entire post and it reads like stream of consciousness instead of getting to the point and actually having a real question. But sure...

whoistherealjay wrote:has anyone out there connected a dj mixer to the Akai Force AS AN EXTERNAL SOUND DEVICE?

Yes, people have connected a dj mixer to the Akai Force as an external sound device, and it will work if they are class compliant audio devices.

whoistherealjay wrote:Does anyone know if this is possible with any other dj mixer on the market?

Yes, this is possible with other dj mixers on the market that are class compliant audio devices.

Reasons it may not work seem to be related to class compliant audio devices that do not operate at 44.1khz and 16bit, and there has been an indication that audio buffer size is a problem. If you cannot change these settings on the device, the Force doesn't seem to set them and just expects it to work... so without a firmware update for the Force, it is currently hit or miss.

You already knew all of this though, so I fail to see what the actual question is other than this.

whoistherealjay wrote:If this is not possible i would love some advice on the bbest way(s) to use a a Dj mixer with the Akai Force

It is possible, so not really a clear reason to respond to this. And if you asked for what the best way(s) to use a DJ mixer with the Akai Force, this is going to be entirely dependent on your workflow.

Explain what it is you are trying to do, what outcome or workflow you are looking for, and you might get some help. Nobody is going to be able to intuit what it is you are really trying to get for information otherwise.

I would like to actually be able to use the mixer's controls, fx's, etc. not just as a sound card. I can get it to work as an audio device, no problem, but all buttons on the mixer itself do not work. I have a traktor S4 mk2 and an S8.
By pitchblender Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:52 pm
I used to own an S4 mkII and most of its functionality was solely with Traktor software. There was a MIDI mode which was turned on with a key combination for controlling other soft/hardware but none of the lights worked, if I remember correctly.
You basically have to control the audio via MIDI from Traktor gadget > Force > Traktor gadget which you have to program yourself with MIDI learn on the Force and then the MIDI screen.
As of fw 3.1.3 we haven’t got MIDI LED feedback for pretty lights on external controllers, or MIDI templates so it’s a PITA regardless. I hope Akai fixes these simple issues soon...

Found this page which might help:

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... -MIDI-Mode

Hope this helps. On phone and can’t re-read stuff so sorry if not.