Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By SvenM Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:36 am
Hi,

I’m struggling with recording audio into the force. When I create a clip first, it won’t record into it, so the way I’m doing it is hit record, create a clip after that and then have it record into that.

It becomes a bit annoying if the take wasn’t to my liking and I want to record again. I have to press undo twice (once to undo the recording and once again to remove the empty clip), hit record, create a new clip… a lot of button presses in order to do a new take.

I’m probably missing something obvious. Can’t I just record over an exiting clip, or even better, punch in to fix a playing mistake?

I find midi recording equally cumbersome. Can’t just create a track and immediately record - have to create a clip first, select it, make sure the track is armed. I’ve messed up at least one of those a couple of times and ended up with nothing recorded. But I guess this will become second nature after a while, still pretty new to using the force.
By SvenM Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:31 am
Just found another issue with the way I’m recording audio : if I create a clip after hitting record, it’s always two bars. How can I record a four bar clip?
By Hoekschop Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:03 pm
I agree, for me recording isn't as straightforward as on the MPC. Would like to know myself if and how you can re-record audio-clips without undoing both the recording and the clip.

But to answer your question about the length. I found this on page 34 of the manual. "New clips are always created at the default length, which can be set by holding Shift and pressing the second Track Assign button (the one that says Length underneath)"
By SvenM Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:42 pm
Thanks, that’s helpful! For now I guess I’ll just set it very long and record a couple of takes, and then edit that. At least that’s the plan, but knowing akai that might turn out to be a pain too.
By Hoekschop Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:06 pm
You can also toggle between fixed and open length with the same combination of buttons. Hold shift and length together to set default length. Hold shift and press length to toggle.
By althemusicwizard Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:12 am
Hi,
I got the FORCE about three weeks ago. For the first week I thought I'd just dive in and see what I could make of it, helped by occasionally looking at the pdf manual. After a week, I decided to print off the manual. In learning a piece of kit like the FORCE, I think it helps to have some literature available to guide you. The manual is pretty good, but could have taken a user through the basic steps AND also provided an overview of the limitations of what's possible say as a chart.
There are many things 'hidden under the hood' which after using the unit for a period of time you'll probably come across, but there are some things that without going through the manual at some stage, most users will never find.
In my own case, I'm overjoyed with the FORCE at the moment. I've never liked using computers for music, but I've had to. With the FORCE however, I can do all the usual things (Sampling, sequencing, create synth patches, record audio, mangle audio) the ONLY caveat being, that as with any piece of hardware, you can either work WITH or AGAINST the machine. I'm still in the 'test period' of finding out what the machine can do, what it can do well and how I adjust my normal working practices to fit in with its workflow.
This is a longer reply than I originally was going to make, but I feel the FORCE is probably being misunderstood as just a 'loop player' or an 'Ableton remote' rather than one of the most innovative pieces of music technology to have been released since AKAI's S900 or for that matter AKAI's DPS24.
Here's a piece I'm tweaking at the moment called Time To Live Again:
https://soundcloud.com/altruistica/tracks
By misterflibble Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:57 am
Hoekschop wrote:You can also toggle between fixed and open length with the same combination of buttons. Hold shift and length together to set default length. Hold shift and press length to toggle.

I usually just record an open-ended clip and then use the loop start/end markers to set the loop.

Note that if you hold down REC you can get into the settings menu which has some other options that are useful.