Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By legalizeranch Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:13 pm
I couldn't find the answer using the search function - if there is already a thread on this topic then i'd appreciate a link :)

I'm using the force to perform live in a band setting with guitar, bass, vocals etc - those will be sent directly to the FOH operator however, we have some vocals with more unique processing which i was hoping to run into the force and process.

Essentially doubling, chorus, reverb, saturation, slight delay, etc. Ideally we'd do this with a 500 series lunchbox if we had more cash but alas we broke.

Will the force be powerful to run the live processing for 3 mics along with a few bits mentioned below?

Id also like to process on one synth via an audio input and run drum live looping / drum triggering and some basic backing track triggering and possibly some live guitar processing.

I'll be using a USB mixer to expand the inputs for the force.

Thanks heaps!
By Koekepan Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:50 pm
I think you're on solid ground in terms of CPU power. To get all the effects that you want you may have to use some sends as well as channel effects, but it's all within reach.

The open question here is: which USB mixer? Something like a Tascam Model 12? Or one of the Behringer options that will give you a stereo pair back over USB? Is it compatible? Have you tested it?
By EnochLight Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:36 pm
legalizeranch wrote:Will the force be powerful to run the live processing for 3 mics along with a few bits mentioned below?

I mean, I presume your band is going to practice before performing. Why not just do it and let us know how it works at practice? Or do you not have a Force yet (and this is just a pre-purchase question)?

legalizeranch wrote:Id also like to process on one synth via an audio input and run drum live looping / drum triggering and some basic backing track triggering and possibly some live guitar processing.

Thanks heaps!

Be aware that using a USB Audio Interface with Force does add some latency. Using a Tascam Model 12, you can expect on average of an additional 7-10 ms of latency, so as long as you're prepared for that...
By legalizeranch Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:52 am
EnochLight wrote:
legalizeranch wrote:Will the force be powerful to run the live processing for 3 mics along with a few bits mentioned below?

I mean, I presume your band is going to practice before performing. Why not just do it and let us know how it works at practice? Or do you not have a Force yet (and this is just a pre-purchase question)?

legalizeranch wrote:Id also like to process on one synth via an audio input and run drum live looping / drum triggering and some basic backing track triggering and possibly some live guitar processing.

Thanks heaps!

Be aware that using a USB Audio Interface with Force does add some latency. Using a Tascam Model 12, you can expect on average of an additional 7-10 ms of latency, so as long as you're prepared for that...

I got the force this week however, i'm still learning the basic functions of live looping the drums/synth lines, etc.

I haven't purchased the mixer yet - i was looking at the model 12, is there better options for this situation? I have only seen videos on the model 12 tbh.

We wont be rehearsing the live show for at least another couple weeks as we're still in the studio mixing the tracks - I'm mostly asking incase someone else has been in this situation and can give advice as to whether i will need to prepare an alternative for the vocal processing.

Thanks for the heads up RE the latency!
By legalizeranch Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:54 am
Koekepan wrote:I think you're on solid ground in terms of CPU power. To get all the effects that you want you may have to use some sends as well as channel effects, but it's all within reach.

The open question here is: which USB mixer? Something like a Tascam Model 12? Or one of the Behringer options that will give you a stereo pair back over USB? Is it compatible? Have you tested it?

Thanks for the feedback RE processing - i was thinking a send channels would be the right move so thats good to know!

I haven't purchased the mixer yet - i was looking at the model 12 purely because that's what most of the videos on youtube feature however, im open to all options if you think there's something more suitable for this situation?
By EnochLight Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:14 pm
legalizeranch wrote:I got the force this week however, i'm still learning the basic functions of live looping the drums/synth lines, etc.

I haven't purchased the mixer yet - i was looking at the model 12, is there better options for this situation? I have only seen videos on the model 12 tbh.

We wont be rehearsing the live show for at least another couple weeks as we're still in the studio mixing the tracks - I'm mostly asking incase someone else has been in this situation and can give advice as to whether i will need to prepare an alternative for the vocal processing.

Thanks for the heads up RE the latency!

Congrats on your Force purchase! Yeah the Tascam Model 12 is super popular for both Force and MPC use - it's one of the few that seems to work quite solid. You'll have additional latency if you use any USB audio interface with Force, so it doesn't really matter which one you choose just so long as it checks all or most of the feature boxes you require. The additional latency probably won't be an issue if you are aware of it and can work around it. That said, YMMV...

I've yet to personally see a better option than the Tascam Model 12, IMHO. I would recommend the Model 16 or 24, but apparently the Model 12 is the sweet spot for performance and cost. The more audio channels you add, the more temperamental Force (and MPC) seem to get.

Let us know how practice works out for you. Would be interested to see what you end up doing.