Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By magmax303 Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:02 am
Hi all,

Long story short : I have been producing techno music for years (mostly producing on computer with a hybrid setup (Ableton with a few AKAI controllers, a TB303, a TR-8)) and I took a break of 5 years. I had the need to start producing again but also to change my way of making music and I decided to get rid of all my gear (including my mixers) to make some "computerless setup".

I was interested by the Elektron Octatrack but finally chose the Akai Force as it offering similar features but was also a "DAW without a computer" and with the ability to have some Ableton-like workflow when needed.

I added an Elektron Analog Four MK2 and a TD3 to the Force.

Now, I am wondering on how to connect these optimaly.

Ideally I would have liked to do without a mixer (as my budget is gone in the Force + Analog Four) but a "cheap" one (4 or 6 channels) would be OK.

I would like to have the Force as the "master piece" of the setup and I would like to keep benefiting from Elektron sequencing power.

I thought I could use Force as an Audio Interface for the A4 (and be able to get 4 voices of the Analog Four on different Force channels) but it looks like it won't work because of their different rates (44khz vs 48khz).

How would you guys make this work ? What would be the optimal connections/setup ?

If I have to add an AI Mixer, have you any suggestion that may work for a reasonable budget ?

Thanks for your help !
By Koekepan Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:46 pm
I have two ideas for you. Which one works best, is your call.

Idea 1: a cheap sub-mixer that then pushes the audio to the Force. Use MIDI to coordinate sequencing.

Idea 2: get an external audio interface, use the Force as your mixer with its internal capabilities, and depending on the audio interface, push MIDI through that as well.

In each case you skip the digital translation because the audio is all going through analogue channels anyway, so no big deal.

Honestly, I'd use the external audio interface. UMC1820 from Behringer works well.
By magmax303 Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:08 pm
Thanks for your suggestions !

the idea 2 sounds good for me and more affordable than a usb/audio interface mixer (couldnt find a good one for a small budget)

Do you know any smaller audio interface as good as the berhinger ? I plan to play live and this one looks like a rackable audio interface. I think I only need 6 or 8 inputs.

Cheers !
By Koekepan Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:28 pm
Behringer has others, but of course there are ones like the Focusrites. In a live play situation I'd use the Behringer, and just put the Force on top of it because it's convenient. This Behringer has 8 inputs, but an ADAT link to allow more if you need them. I don't bother with that; the Force will only handle so many audio channels anyway.

There is a thread that talks about compatible audio interfaces, but I genuinely would put the Force, UMC1820, A4 and TD3 in a single rugged tote along with cables and perform that way. Maybe an X-stand and portable PA for the really out-of-the-way gigs as well.
By magmax303 Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:51 am
Just noticed the UMC1820 was available at 175€ on Amazon with a Prime account. I don't think I could get anything interesting for a lower price. I had a look at other interfaces but 1) I am not sure they will work correctly with the Force (regarding the post on compatible interfaces on this forum) and 2) I think a 4 inputs AI such as the Behringer UMC404HD (which seems to be a more recent AI) won't be enough (4 voices from the A4 + the TD3 = 5 inputs needed). And its price isn't really lower than the UMC1820.

If I use the the Force as a mixer, do you think I should get some small midi controller with faders to get it easier to control ?

Has anyone hear about the XENYX mixers from Berhinger? Looks like their AI is "compliant" but I guess I won't get good results with those (in matter of latency or even sound quality)
By Koekepan Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:44 pm
XENYX mixers: I have one. It's nice. Only gives me stereo master out over USB, so it's not a replacement for an audio interface but for live play, that shouldn't matter.

Force as mixer:

Force has a couple of ways of addressing that, including a mixer-like assignment for the Q-links, and a mixer option for the pads. Depending on your needs, those might be quite adequate. If you need a more detailed mixing interface then you'd want a controller for it. Basically, something like the Behringer X1832USB would be the sub-mixer option that I'd mentioned above.