Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By deadish Thu May 05, 2022 11:43 am
Hi all - I'm new around here. I owned a Force (briefly) a few years back. I've kept an eye on developments since, because it's such an interesting concept, and the updates have been excellent. However, lack of definable time signatures has kept me away from reinvesting. Can an owner please confirm if the Force is able to handle time sigs like the MPC one in this video? Thank you.
By EnochLight Fri May 06, 2022 6:07 pm
deadish wrote:Hi all - I'm new around here. I owned a Force (briefly) a few years back. I've kept an eye on developments since, because it's such an interesting concept, and the updates have been excellent. However, lack of definable time signatures has kept me away from reinvesting. Can an owner please confirm if the Force is able to handle time sigs like the MPC one in this video? Thank you.

Don't have time to watch the video, but I can answer: Force doesn't currently allow time signature control like the MPC.
By Koekepan Sat May 07, 2022 3:38 pm
My honest opinion:

All that it does is provide a metronome, if I even want one, which I often don't.

Even in musical systems that let me define all sorts of time signatures, I rarely bother. If I care about something like that, I tend to count things out by myself (which one generally has to for cross-rhythms anyway) so I can't say that this absence is really crippling to me at all.

Your mileage may vary, and you may find this to be critical, but I'd much rather they give us good optical mouse support for better ergonomics.
By deadish Mon May 09, 2022 8:53 am
Thanks very much for both responses. I write 90% in 4/4, but I'd like the option for the other 10%.
I really like the clip-launching workflow, which reminds me of korg gadget on the ipad. After some more delving, it seems there may be a workaround. Please correct me if I've misunderstood. If I changed the launch quantization to one beat, I could trigger a row, have it play in whatever time sig I'd chosen—say 7/4—then launch the next row manually when the end of a 7/4 bar is reached. Have I understood this correctly?