Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By tomatoattack Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:43 am
Hello people. While I wait for my Force to arrive on my doorstep I am learning as much as I can.

That being said, I keep reading from time to time that MPC and Force can actually read old AKAI sample libraries and AKAI formats.

I have an AKAI S6000 sampler thus I do have an extensive library of CDs and backed up ISO files. Yes I can still use S6000 but I am downsizing and thinking of moving all my favorites into the Force.

Years ago I purchased a CDXtract and Extreme Sample converter. Both can read AKAI CD formats (when they are converted to ISO files or CD is in PC) and I can extract CD file structure. Basically on my PC I have AKAI programs in AKP format with all of their associated file structures (PARTITION A, PARTITION B etc.etc.).

I used these files to place them on my S6000 drive and my S6000 can definitely see and read and play those programs once I placed them on the S6000 drive. All these programs consist of 16-bit samples, some programs are structured with mono samples, some are stereo samples and they are all perfectly looped.

Question 1 is: can Force really read all those AKP programs like S6000?
Question 2: Assuming that the answer is YES to the first question - Is it smart to load all my favorite AKP programs into Force and then resave them in Force native format (which would be ??) in Keygroups?

The reason I ask is because perhaps newer Force formats are maybe more optimized in loading time then the old AKP format.

Question 3. I already purchased a 1TB SSD drive which will be formatted in ExFAT and installed in Force. From what I understand - I can connect Force to PC via USB and in specific mode (Computer mode) and my PC will see Force and all mounted devices such as HDD or SD or USB.

Then I need to move those AKP files in some folder on my HDD. Question here is - is there some limit to folder or folder names. Do I need to name a folder specifically for my scenario?

I am asking because I saw that in order to install "expansions" into the Force one needs to have a specific folder created on storage media - such as I need to create a folder called "Expansions" and place my expansion there - in order for Force to see them correctly. Is it required for me to do the same for everything else or I can simply create a folder AKAI-AKP and place all my files inside?

Regards
By Koekepan Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 am
I don't know much about this, since I've never done (nor tried) it. I'm more inclined to do synthesis, sound design and resampling.

That said, as a matter of workflow I would just slurp it all in. You're getting a big drive, you're building your library - do that thing! It just smooths the path.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:21 am
Yes it reads AKP files. However the conversion is fairly basic so you will need to manually tweak each instrument after loading it. For example, the filters, FX And LFO will not transfer and envelope settings will be approximations, and some features will simply not be supported by the Force's relatively simple sample engine (it's no S6000).

So after loading, tweak and effectively create a new Force-style instrument, and re-save in XPM format.

The Expansions folder is specifically for expansions. You'll just create a different folder on your SSD (any name, no limits, but I would generally avoid special characters other than underscores and hyphens, and you can create unlimited levels of sub folders etc) and put all your instruments inside that and then access it from the 'Places' areas of your browser.

You could make your own expansions if you want, but that's not necessary, it's really just giving you that nice thumbnail image. But here's an article about doing this: https://www.mpc-tutor.com/akai-force-tu ... expansions
By tomatoattack Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:51 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Yes it reads AKP files. However the conversion is fairly basic so you will need to manually tweak each instrument after loading it. For example, the filters, FX And LFO will not transfer and envelope settings will be approximations, and some features will simply not be supported by the Force's relatively simple sample engine (it's no S6000).

So after loading, tweak and effectively create a new Force-style instrument, and re-save in XPM format.

The Expansions folder is specifically for expansions. You'll just create a different folder on your SSD (any name, no limits, but I would generally avoid special characters other than underscores and hyphens, and you can create unlimited levels of sub folders etc) and put all your instruments inside that and then access it from the 'Places' areas of your browser.

You could make your own expansions if you want, but that's not necessary, it's really just giving you that nice thumbnail image. But here's an article about doing this: https://www.mpc-tutor.com/akai-force-tu ... expansions

Wow thank you, that's exactly what I needed. I intend to resave in XPM format and perhaps I will toy with thumbnails. Thanks so much for explaining everything.

I don't mind "approximation" and I was well aware that not all settings will be transferred. Around 90% of all of my programs are merely just mapped samples, not heavy modulations, LFO and that sort of thing so I should be good with approximations and everything.

Have a great day.
By 64hz Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:27 pm
I just copied my folder with samples and akp files dating back to the MPC 60 and load them up with no problem. Only some .snd files cause a system crash and I'm not sure what's wrong with the files that make it crash. Seem to be hit or miss so I just save before loading .snd sounds.