Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Koekepan Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:21 pm
OK, so this is an entirely speculative fun thread. Move on if this isn't your thing.

Force II: I could see it having more RAM like the MPC Key, but I see potential for two other, more meaningful form updates.

The first is the possibility of adding a battery. I don't happen to feel the need for one; I'd be happy to see an optional battery pack (which I probably wouldn't buy) but the Force workflow with Live portability would be a potent little firecracker.

The second is a bit of rearrangement, just for ergonomics. Take the bottom half, up to the sloped OLED panel, as-is, and shift the top piece to the side. I could see arguments for putting it on the left, or the right (and whichever you choose some will tell you it's the wrong side), thereby putting everything in more convenient reach, in a form factor that will fit nicely on a wide range of keyboard stands. Add VESA mount points on the back, and suddenly you're in business. Use the longer back panel real estate to fit in a few more inputs and/or outputs, and a great thing becomes greater.

And please, a software update to allow for an optical mouse. Not everybody's hands work well with touchscreens.
By 64hz Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:48 pm
Mouse support and hdmi out. Maybe some more ram and I’m buying it. :smoker:
By NearTao Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:19 am
I’d dig a few more inputs for sure… would love audio overdubbing… but who knows.

I feel like 64 pads is probably plenty, but what do you guys think about 128?
By Koekepan Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:07 am
I think that 128 might just make it too big and unwieldy, because making the pads smaller seems like a pad idea. I wouldn't want fewer than 64, but 128? I don't know about that.
By 64hz Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:59 am
NearTao wrote:I’d dig a few more inputs for sure… would love audio overdubbing… but who knows.

I feel like 64 pads is probably plenty, but what do you guys think about 128?

More inputs would be great yeah.
By HouseWithoutMouse Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:40 am
- Slice/warp markers for audio tracks, automatic slicing and time-correction, off-line switchable to Elastique Pro.
- A less dumb transient detection algorithm than the current "threshold", which inserts slices in crazy places, for example in the middle of a bass note with no other instruments in the clip.
- MIDI clips on tracks in the arranger, so that it could be used as an actual arranger instead of the current dumb performance recorder.
- Cross-fades between audio clips (or "regions" or whatever they are) on the same arranger audio track, so that the audio tracks could be used for actual audio recording.
- Support for time signatures.
- More velocity layers for keygroups, at least 16, and more than 128 keygroups per program, so I could directly convert my current sample libraries for it.
- A de-esser plugin so that the "vocal plugin suite" would be sufficient for actual vocals.
- Using the looper "in-place" for overdubbing audio clips. Or just overdub the damn audio clips, how hard can it be.
- Update the audio interface drivers to what's available in newer Linux kernels, so it could actually work with some other multi-channel interface than Behringer UMC1820 and Tascam Model 12. For example, well working Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 drivers are there sitting and waiting for Akai to pick them up! How many years, how many years?
- Physical button options for all functions all the time, so I don't have to use the damn touchscreen. Mouse if this is not possible. (going to change my name to HouseWithoutTouchscreen) How about moving a focus/cursor from control to control with buttons or the wheel. Automatically move the Q-links to the page where the touched parameter resides, it's dumb to have to browse through pages, searching for a parameter.
- Let me reset-to-default any setting with some key press. Accept choices by pushing the wheel. Usability improvements!
- Distinguish between tap and scroll. It is completely idiotic that it's not possible to scroll the touchscreen without inevitably also tapping/clicking some choice. How can that be so, someone coded that bullsh*t, co-worker reviewed, "definition of done" was checked as fulfilled, everyone went home happily thinking that they did their job properly. Years pass and the bullsh*t remains. Good job! Let's code more new features.

Oops! None of that needs any changes to the hardware.
By voonta Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:37 pm
All I want is: Fully fleshed out midi mapping. More audio tracks, for some reason I have 32 inputs available but only 8 stereo audio tracks. Quick navigation macros. Map macros to midi.

All are possible in the current Force.
By Koekepan Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:09 pm
On second thought, 128 pads and 16 Q-links, next to the screen and control buttons would put it in the same ballpark of size as a 61 key keyboard. That would be quite tasty. Might even be room to add a set of faders, rather than just the one. Something of the same footprint as the MPC Key would definitely work in that realm.
By tomatoattack Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:34 am
The current version is already a beast. That being said I would "only" want to see structural changes to the unit itself.

- larger screen preferably with a tilt function (like from MPC X)
- more inputs (definitely)
- more outputs (so that I avoid having 3rd party USB card connected to the Force just to be able to send 8 outs to my mixer)

That's it! Likely a new version when it comes (expecting it within the next few years from now), will have newer SOC meaning more power. That consequently could mean a better or different FX pallete. Though I am pretty sure we are not exhausted whatever is already in the current unit.

I hope they didn't stop their plans for the current Force and that eventually, we will see more paid or free upgrades in the FX department, meaning a Metering suite for better mastering or different dynamic FX such as Tape or specific compressor emulation such as 1176 or LA2A or SSL Type.
By B-Wise Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:20 pm
I wish we could set different clips in a track as a Master clip so everything you do to it (seq edits, name changes...etc) carries over to the Slave clip which is a copy a Master clip.
As well as Master Tracks & Slave tracks for the same reason. Major time savers!
By dnkygirl Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:38 am
1. Bigger screen like the Mpcx. Adjustable not fixed.
2. Quad core processing.
3. 4-8gb of ram it needs it.
4. Thinner less bulky with battery.
5. Dont jack the price up to 2 grand trying to recoup lost sales from the beta machine force 1.
6. Tested in house and by people who use the original to catch bugs early. Stop releasing beta to public who are using the machine for production. Also dev has to understand that public is not the beta test pool.
7. Don’t release a product that promises the moon but it only barely gets off the ground.
8. Fix the midi problems all of them. It’s like it was never honestly tested and vetted. It’s the number one thing that people will notice because most use external gear with devices like this… not just the items added.
9. Repair your reputation by being accepting of the community that helped to accelerate all of your Mpc’s into a viable market. It would be nice to see someone other than Andy showing new features. Also not everyone uses it for one genre “electronic music”. There are other genres to focus on. Also show different uses.
10. M.2 nvme drive support. Sata is oldschool.
11. Network drive support.
12. Wireless Bluetooth support done correctly.
13. External midi controller support like the Morningstar mc6,8,3. Guitarist have a hard time using this for live shows because it lacks the ability to be controlled externally. You can’t stomp on a keypad….. think outside the box…
14. Add a tuner
15. Midi cc support. It’s the thing that allows people to use it however they want with what they want.
By SnowMetal Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:21 am
Program changes within tracks would be nice, so I don't have to move 48+ tracks to the right to get a live performance out of one project file.

Or they could just add double the features, but also double the bugs and crashes, for nostalgic sake?
By renegadebliss Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:35 am
dnkygirl wrote:6. Tested in house and by people who use the original to catch bugs early. Stop releasing beta to public who are using the machine for production. Also dev has to understand that public is not the beta test pool.

I personally think they need a public Beta. Neither in house QA tester or the closed Beta testers are catching all the bugs. It's simple.

Make each release available as a Beta before its official release.

Take Bug Reports

Fix Bug Reports

Release software
By NearTao Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:03 pm
Sadly, I suspect that the beta testers and in house qa catch the bugs/issues... but in all likelihood it is up to the product managers to decide what fixes go in or get priority... my suspicious nature tells me that a fair number of things are just ignored...

Source... been in the software industry for way too long... but... this is just a wild guess... I don't know how Akai works internally...