Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By BigUncleBucks Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:05 pm
I like the full sized pads on MPC/MPD and want those pads working on the Force. The additional knobs and faders on the 232 seem handy too. I will also connect a controller keyboard, perhaps.

Is anyone using a MPD232 with the Force?
Can it connect via USB?
Or do I have to use MIDI DIN?
Does it map easily / out of the box?
Does the Force
do midi learn easily enough?
Any other suggestions...

Background: Ableton guy / old school MPC2000XL guy.Sold a lot gear when I moved countries about 4 years ago. Out of the loop and doing my research at the moment. (country I'm in has no real showrooms etc, so I'm asking this forum)

Bonus question.

Any point in buying both a Force and MPC Live II (or MPC X)? Doesn't make alot of sense to do that IMO, you may have other thoughts.

Thanking you all in advance for your assistance and sending
By HouseWithoutMouse Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:02 pm
https://www.akaipro.com/mpd232
"iOS compatibility using the Camera Connection Kit" sounds like the MIDI-over-USB thingy is class compatible, so you may be able to use it at least as a MIDI controller.

AFAIK there are no such thing as Ableton's remote control scripts for the Force. It would be nice to have that though. I have several controllers, for example Akai APC mini. Akai's product page says "30 presets total, with configurations for most popular DAWs" but I suppose the Force is not included.
By BigUncleBucks Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:22 pm
Cheers mate. Yeah I saw that line too and thought that might indicate class compliance.

I had a think this afternoon about the setup and figure just the pads on midi would suffice, I've got a MPK mini, somewhere in the house and MPX8. I'll play with them hooked upto the Force, even via Ableton if need be.

Thanks for responding. Sending you some positive energy for your time. Cheers.
By voonta Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:07 am
Mapping is relatively easy, but you only have a few options for how the control is mapped eg. Flip the action, map a button, slider, potentiometer, I've never figured out how to map an encoder.

You can only map 100% of the travel of either the knob or the internal control. You can only map controls 1 to 1. You can't map the selected channel or the current plugin, you need a new control for each thing you want to map. There are no shift layers. But the real killer for any decent mapping is you can't map LED's, so you don't get feedback and more importantly you can't map the sequencer to anything else.

If you want Ableton style mapping, you are better off getting a laptop with Ableton and a used push 2, you will have better control, better effects, more audio channels, better midi, mouse control for accurate adjustments, VST plugins, more available RAM, better screen with the ability to use a massive screen, better portability for your music, better back ups, easier folder management, better device compatibility.
By Koekepan Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:30 pm
This reminds me that I keep meaning to try my BCR2000 with the Force. Should be exciting!