Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By carvingcode Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:46 pm
There's a handful of videos showing playing/recording live instruments (mostly guitar) with the Force. I'm sure most here use the force for beat making, but I'm wondering about the current Force for recording and playing with external instruments?

I had a Force early on but sold it as the software/capabilities were a bit sparse at the time. Now though there seems to be a lot available and I'm looking into it again as a composition aid and recording device for use with external acoustic instruments.

Any current thoughts?
By HouseWithoutMouse Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:27 pm
I've tried using the Force for recording improvised guitar-based things, a bit like a looper on steroids, with more possibilities for layering and using blocks. But there are only 8 tracks, and no audio cross-fades, so even simple punch-ins are not possible, and there will be audible clicks unless you use multiple tracks just for that. And the "arranger" is very cumbersome, not being able to actually arrange anything. And you have to use the horrific tiny touch-screen. Possible, but so clunky it makes no sense to use the Force for that. You can't even overdub an audio clip. It's pathetic.

Maybe there's a way to use the Force as an audio recording creativity wonder, I just couldn't find out how that's done.

The things that do work are based on MIDI, Q-link knobs and the 8x8 launch buttons.

Other forum members are free to post examples of their audio recording creativity wonder workflows.
By Koekepan Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:49 pm
HouseWithoutMouse is totally correct! It's a horrorshow of hideous impracticality! It will irradiate your gonads and give you leprosy as well! The teeny-tiny touchscreen will drive you blind, give you arthritis and utterly crater your creativity!

(Please pay no attention to the people using it for actual music production, they're all a lie and a smokescreen bought off by Akai to fool people.)

More seriously, the Force is fine with recording clips, samples, and mashing them together. If you're looking for a multi-track recorder, then find a multi-track recorder (I am a fan of the Portastudio line from Tascam) and if you want a looper, then find one elsewhere too. Use tools for what they're good at, not what they're bad at. The Force is a studio beast that will assemble very complex tracks in a planned way, including overlaying and resampling audio generated externally as well as internally. If you want a live jam session tool, go find one elsewhere because the Force isn't it.

(If you read this forum, every couple of weeks you find some people who are blood-spittingly furious that the Force doesn't do something that it wasn't designed to do. Pay close attention to these people, because they are what you don't want to be. They're probably angry about ice cream being cold enough to give them brainfreeze, too.)
By Koekepan Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:18 pm
It's probably all the infectious sex and toxic drugs.

For academic reference, I suggest Glenn Tipton's song Fuel Me Up, from his Baptizm of Fire album. You can find it on youtube.
By carvingcode Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:21 pm
I'm not interested in using the Force as a looper, but we should be able to record instruments and vocals.,

I guess a workaround for the pops at the beginning of a recorded sample it is wait a beat or two after starting a recording before starting to play. Then if necessary trim the beginning.
By 64hz Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:15 am
I have no problem recording vocals or instruments but I never used a DAW with endless possibilities. To me it seems fine if you plan correctly.