Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By djpunchfuck Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:04 pm
Hey guys -

I want to make the note value of a drumsynth(Clap) track modulate the Tone value of the plugin. This affects the timbre of the instrument but not really the pitch. Forgive me as I'm getting back into music and production after over a decade break but anyway I think currently the pitch is irrelevant since this synthesis is based around noise instead of fourier transfers. At least I hear no difference when I play different note values, wheras at least so far I've heard it affect the pitch of the drumysnth(kick).

So anyway, since it doesn't really affect anything, but I'm doing a lot of sound design kind of creation of my own drum layers, I've been using keygroups. I have resampled a lot of kicks at different pitch so i have kind of a favorites of different layers i like but to have it resampled at different pitches so I can pick the correct pitch. I want to resample the clap and have different timbres available just in the keygroup without having to reload the drumsynth plugin and adjust the value of the Tone to get more variation. So I'd like to be able to generate a keygroup with variations on the Tone value.

I have tried looking for like a global kind of mod matrix but it seems to only exist in certain plugins or I don't know how to access it for the drumsynth(clap)

any help is appreciated thanks guys
By Koekepan Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:32 am
It sounds to me as if you're reaching for the Macro capability, which should do everything that you're asking for. Did you try it? Did it help?
By djpunchfuck Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:05 pm
hey thanks for answering

yes i've looked at the macros, and while it does a lot of similar stuff, I don't see a way of doing the specific use case I'm talking about - more specifically I do not know how to assign the particular value of a note to anything. it does not seem selectable as a source, but it's possible I've overlooked it. If you're willing to walk me through how to do what is in my original post, I'd really appreciate it
By Koekepan Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:37 pm
I don't know about using the key value as an entry value for the mod matrix as such, but when you're recording a keygroup you can change parameters to some extent, so maybe bake the tone change in from the start?
By djpunchfuck Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:14 pm
well, sorry but that's what I need. The whole point of being able to have the note value modulate something else is so I can have the whole automated process of creating a keygroup generate a bunch of samples that I can use. Sure I can manually set the tone knob, but I'd have to do that for each sample I create, which while it's perfectly possiblee to do it that way, is incredibly tedious compared to just being able to hit one button and have it generate every note automatically within a given range of notes. There's other ways I can do workarounds as well, I'm just looking for the most efficient path. Thanks anyway though
By Koekepan Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:30 pm
I would use an external source, such as a sunvox instance running on a PC, or my Synesthesia Pipes, generating what I need. That can get about as crazy as I like - and of course, if you use the CV/Gate outputs, the lid comes off the possibilities.

Actually - can't you set up a pure MIDI track that then forwards its note values to another track, and then do something that way? Just thinking on my feet here, but if you want to be completely inside the box, that might do it.