Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Timo Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:01 pm
Hi, I'm planning on using the Force as the centerpiece for my live setup. I've already loaded all my tracks into it (each song is a project with several disk streaming audio tracks that I will mix live), and now I want to synchronize some DMX-controlled lights to the music.

I am planning on doing this by triggering those lights via MIDI messages from a MIDI track on the Force, so I will need a MIDI-to-DMX converter. So far, I've found this:

http://response-box.com/gear/product/de ... -firmware/

I was surprised that this seems like the only pure MIDI-to-DMX converter out there - there are lots of solutions that are USB-MIDI-to-DMX, but that won't work with the Force (or will it)?

I'd love any feedback on what other MIDI-to-DMX converters are out there, or maybe I'm conceptualizing this all wrong, and there are better ways to program/trigger DMX lights from the Force? Has anybody done this successfully and is willing to share some tips?

Thanks!
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:53 pm
USB MIDI, if it's the same thing I know, means a USB class compliant MIDI interface device. Following the same logic, you could call a USB audio interface "USB audio". You connect the USB MIDI device to one of your Force's USB ports and if all goes well, a new MIDI interface will show up in the Force's device settings.
By Timo Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:17 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:USB MIDI, if it's the same thing I know, means a USB class compliant MIDI interface device. Following the same logic, you could call a USB audio interface "USB audio". You connect the USB MIDI device to one of your Force's USB ports and if all goes well, a new MIDI interface will show up in the Force's device settings.

Ah, I didn't know that - that's great news, because there are plenty of USB-to-DMX interfaces out there. I'll just buy myself one (they're not expensive), and cross my fingers that it'll work as you described!

Has anybody out there tried this, and maybe even have recommendations for such an interface that works with the Force?