Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By mrmarbury Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:38 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Is it Ableton themselves who write all the remote control scripts, and not the device manufacturers or someone they hired? Looking at the decompiled(?) code, it seems to me that they've been written by many different people with different ideas. I could be wrong.

I mean https://github.com/gluon/AbletonLive9_RemoteScripts

What does this do?
https://github.com/gluon/AbletonLive10. ... _Force_MPC

I only have Ableton Live 9, so can't test.

That's the question. Since they are manually decompiled by this gluon guy and committed to a new repo even git blame won't tell you anything. If it's decompiled, then I think this is handled entirely by Ableton. Maybe the manufacturer i.e. Akai sends them those python scripts and they add them? But this is highly speculative since I don't know Ableton's business model. I think feature wise it's a mixture of the features supported via those python scripts like mapping of knobs to functions in Ableton. But also things like basic features the device supports. Like If you want to use the Force's 64 pads to enter notes, then Akai needs to make the keyboard overlay accessible in Live mode which then sends the appropriate note start/stop 7bit messages to Live. Because this should work out of the box. Built my own Midi devices with Arduinos for some art/music projects a while back and these just work out of the box. Only used things like M4L to override the midi channel the signals are sent to. Or in case of CC messages I used M4L to override what these CCs "mean".
So imho it's either Akai not wanting to create a fully fledged Ableton controller mode for Force, Ableton not letting them or a mixture of both. All I know is that the Force could completely replace any Push out there. And knowing how businesses work these days I would not blame Ableton to have some sort of restrictions here because more people would refrain from buying a controller-only Push for 900 bucks if they could have a Force/Push for 150 bucks more. Or I blame them if they have such restrictions but I am not the cartel office to research that ;)
By HouseWithoutMouse Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:48 pm
I don't believe it could be completely up to Ableton to just code something and then a Force becomes a perfect controller. What interface and protocol are they using to access the Force? How do they show graphics like waveforms on the touch screen? How do they update the Q-link OLEDs? Is all of this already there in the Force, just use it? Then what prevents, say, Bitwig or Ardour from using the same facilities.
By Silver Shepherd Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:39 pm
I'm also with 64Hz on this one.

- Connecting Mouse and keyboard would be awesome
- together with an HDMI Out, where you can arrange all Mainwindows next to each other on the external display;
so you can see for example the mixer, and the arrangement or Matrix window at the same time.
and the clip notes maybe also. Just like you can do in normal desktop daws.
That would help a lot, because you need to jump a lot in current stand alone mode.

- also a built in battery would be cool

- built in speaker[/b]

- more portable and lighter, also maybe smaller formfactor

- and also a tiltable screen (always after 10min of working on the device my back hurt bad, because you need always to lean a bit forward to be able to reach the touchscreen. That is pretty unergonomic)

- mpe if possible

- and a better daw integration. Please let the next Force Device be compatible with MPC Software or an other DAW (FL Studio woud be pretty nice), where you can open a whole Force project in and be able to edit everything you can edit in the device itself.
- And be also able to load a Desktop-DAW-project back to the Force.
By mrmarbury Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:40 am
Silver Shepherd wrote:
- also a built in battery would be cool

- built in speaker[/b]

- more portable and lighter, also maybe smaller formfactor

I don't know if these go together well. A battery and a speaker system would add quite some weight. A battery would be cool but I never understood why pro-music equipment would need speakers anyway. But that's just me and I never had the urge to make music on the subway forcing everybody to listen to my sh*t. In my home studio I have way better speakers and headphones. And in the club I'd hope they have better speakers. :mrgreen: If they'd offer a version with speakers, then they should also offer a version without speakers. Would hate to pay like 200 bucks more for a feature that just adds a brick's worth of weight

Silver Shepherd wrote:- and a better daw integration. Please let the next Force Device be compatible with MPC Software or an other DAW (FL Studio woud be pretty nice), where you can open a whole Force project in and be able to edit everything you can edit in the device itself.
- And be also able to load a Desktop-DAW-project back to the Force.

I think a "full" integration into Ableton Live is more "likely". Even though I don't think that would ever happen for many very technical reasons. I am not using Live but since the Force is so obviously a Push contender I would be fine with it if it were. In the end I think it would be way easier though to make the necessary changes to MPC Software and support that (like on the MPC) because the biggest barrier would imho be the compatibility of some DAW with the Akai Force. All software you don't have under your complete control are moving targets in a way that anything unforeseeable could happen from stuff stopping to work all of a sudden, the DAW stopping to support something vital or the DAW-company going out of business altogether. And I think it's impossible for Akai to support every nook and cranny of any 3rd party DAW anyway. Which is what you'd need in order to make the Force 100% compatible. But it starts earlier. Let's say you want to make Force compatible to a DAW with complete project import. Imagine how you would make a Force-synth for example not only behave but also sound exactly the same as the DAW-Synth you want to support. Impossible if you ask me.
By Voseone Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:29 pm
-Enable the loop function in Note mode within a drum track, so I can loop one shots without the constraint of the BPM.
-A more simplistic approach to recording into the sequence when record is pressed.
-Overdub would be appreciated.
-Ability to change BPM to pads individually.
-Please fix the bug where the screen jumps to the beginning of the sample when zooming.
-Assign Xy screen function for individual pads.
-Beat grid fx similar to Virtual DJ fx would be awesome.
By B-Wise Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:31 pm
Voseone wrote:-Enable the loop function in Note mode within a drum track, so I can loop one shots without the constraint of the BPM.
-A more simplistic approach to recording into the sequence when record is pressed.
-Overdub would be appreciated.
-Ability to change BPM to pads individually.
-Please fix the bug where the screen jumps to the beginning of the sample when zooming.
-Assign Xy screen function for individual pads.
-Beat grid fx similar to Virtual DJ fx would be awesome.

Cool wishes, but it would be more efficient if you posted these & any future wishes in the wishlist thread that's pinned to the top of the Force main page because after a while this thread can get lost in the mix & other people may not see it.

The main Force OS wishlist:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=212448