Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By watodand Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:30 am
Hi there
First of all i m a newbie. I just bought an akai force then cut a good deal of a brand new unused second hand mpc live 2 retro edition so i have both machines.
Im trying to understand the workflow of these two and i wonder that can i midi sync between 2 machines and how do i do that. Do i need 5 pin midi cables or usb a/b cable or can i use ethernet connections?
Thank you all of your help
Have a nice forum folks
By Koekepan Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:00 pm
Nnnnnnnyahnonotreallykindasortayeah?

USB does not have a peer-to-peer architecture. Both the Force and the Live 2 are MIDI hosts on their USB A connections (the flat ones) and MIDI clients on their USB B connections (the chunky, blocky ones), but I sincerely doubt whether you could use a B-to-A cable to get them talking to each other properly.

The more reliable way would be to plug a MIDI DIN connection from the Force's MIDI Out into the Live's In (possibly through a splitter, hub or other arrangement) and then to pass the signal that way.

But MIDI over USB will definitely send sync signals.
By watodand Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:47 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:If the Force is synced to an external MIDI clock master, you lose the ability to record audio tracks. It always pretty much immediately says the tempo changed and stops recording.

My main setup based on force so force will be the master midi clock