Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By daddy_Q Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:15 am
Hello all!

I've been using mpc live 2 for a while, and feel like I know it pretty well(not inside out yet..but ).

my workflow is sketch on mpc live 2 as I also use 3rd party vst's and real instrument, and finishing them on ableton. but honestly, I spend more time on Ableton. sometimes I hook mpc live 2 via midi and work with ableton, sometimes I export as als file and work on Ableton as well, so I mostly do my work 50% or more on ableton.

So I thought why not try akai force?

what am I going to loose if I switch over to akai force?

thing I like about mpc's are

1. sampling function as well as resampling

2. plugin + instruments(hype, model d etc...)

3. drum programming (Note repeat, 16 Level, Full Level etc...)

4. 6 dedicated output but it's not huge.

5. 2 usb port, also 2 set of midi i/o.

but if I get Akai Force, is it going to help my workflow faster?

wondering what you guys think!

let me know
By daddy_Q Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:13 pm
I’ve read lots of it.. still looking for an answer tho.
How I use mpc is programming drum(60%), sampling and others(keygroup, plugin instruments 40%) and build song using ableton(via sync mpc using midi, not controller mode). Sometimes I wish I can just load project from ableton, so I’m considering force if it makes my work flow easier.
By 64hz Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:03 pm
I don’t use ableton but basic functions are the same as on mpc. There are differences in workflow but it shouldn’t be that different. Plugins are the same.
By daddy_Q Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:39 pm
Thanks!

Watching tons of videos about force, it looks very tempting indeed!

So my understanding is, force is almost mpc + ableton’s clip (session view) launcher?

And how you archive note repeat, let’s say note repeat for hihats and snare roll.

Is it same as mpc or still use arpeggiator to do it?
By daddy_Q Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:17 am
okay, so i just finished a song in ableton using mpc live 2 via midi.

50% track was done in mpc, (drums, bass, vocal sample loop), other instruments were recorded in ableton live.

as much as I like my mpc live 2 (specially retro version!), I do believe force will be suit more for my workflow.

the thing about live 2 tho, internal battery! I don't use built in speaker that much honestly, I just plug my headphone or in ear monitor when I'm at home while kid's are sleeping.

also last year I brought mpc live 2 where ever I go as long as I have few hours to noodling and it was such a joy.

but when fun is over and I bring my mpc to studio to work with mac, it feels like it's slowing down my workflow.

I guess I have to buy force used to see how it works. as I watched few videos, I already feel like it's not to hard to learn akai force to me, ( I've used push 1 before little bit.).
By B-Wise Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:21 pm
Most of everything you like about the MPC is on the Force & since your already using Ableton I would get the Force because it closer to that work flow. Plus the Force is better then the MPC's so many other ways.
-64 pads makes tough to back to 16.
-The Macro capabilities.
-The cross-fader(s) (you can have 16 sets of them doing different things).
-Disk streaming.
-16 envelope followers which can use as 16 LFO's for almost anything.
-999 scenes which is like a sequence on the MPC.
-The navigation view that lets you see all tracks & scenes at the same time.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but I know its something major I'm forgetting.

P.S you can get an external battery for the Force.
https://www.songbirdfx.com/products/
By daddy_Q Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:21 pm
okay, then few more questions before buy it!

1. let's say, I sketch drum (drum program as mpc), bass(akai plugin) using some plugins inside force.

bring it to ableton -> and I want use force and ableton simultaneously.

build few more tracks in ableton, and then while building song in ableton I want edit drum pattern and want to do this in force.

Is it working like this way?

so let's sum up.

let's say I made 2 track(drum and bass) inside force and export as als file.

open project in ableton.

track 1 drum (made in force) -> how it's working inside ableton? as drum rack or just midi track?

track 2 bass. (made in force) -> how it's working inside ableton? as drum rack or just midi track?

track 3 keys (ableton)

track 4 synth (ableton)

2. let's say while I making a song I want to bring this ableton als project to force so that I can work rest of song at anywhere.

how 3rd party vst is handled in force? I was thinking just freeze track in ableton and use it as audio track.

let me know!