Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By yonis86 Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:25 am
Having issues with ram-memory full.

Is this normal when only having 5 plugin - tracks and 1 drum-track with 1 single sample on it?

The manual says the Force should be able to handle 126 tracks right? It barely handles 6. I have not even started recording my vocals yet and its already giving me problems. I use an SD card for almost everything except the expansions inside. My plugins and everything exist in the SD - card among with the samples and projects, mixdowns and so on.

Is this normal and how do I go about freeing up RAM?

Very grateful for help,,

Thank you!

/Yonis
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:45 am
Depends on the plugins you are using, many of the premium plugins are memory hogs and arguably not particularly suitable for anything other than an MPC Key (which has an extra 2GB ram).

A single instance of Studio Strings uses up 31% of RAM on a Force (roughly the equivalent of loading a 300MB 24bit wav keygroup program). The Stage plugins are around 20% each. Fabric is around 7%, Fabric XL is often double that. You can see how using multiple instances of these plugins is going to quickly tank your RAM.

The original 'free' plugins are generally very low on ram, even 0% for basic synth stuff (e.g. bassline etc).

Options: Swap plugins for lower ram versions. Bounce plugin track to audio track (and disk stream it), or convert to a keygroup with autosampler (assuming you use optimised multisampling techniques - or set the samples to be streamed from disk) .
By yonis86 Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 am
Thanks for your reply!

OK, that was sorry to hear about the plugins using up much RAM-memory. On the other hand thanks for the tips about bouncing to audio tracks! I will definitely try that. It also feels good to know that this is normal.

By the way, is 57% RAM usage a lot or OK? Because that is what I have on this project right now.

Thank so much!