Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Ton618 Tue May 16, 2023 7:23 am
Hi all. I’m preparing a new 1 hour live set on my Force. My workflow starts on Ableton Live where I prepare the main project that will be fine tuned after the transfer to the Force.
One of my concern is about the audio files level to optimize the sound in the live set. In my experience the best strategy is to keep the peak level of the whole tracks around -6dB to have some room to manage dynamic equalization, compression, limiting on the master channel (or sub-mix) being more versatile when performing live. It’s a process similar to the mastering but oriented to the live sound.
Have anyone else a similar strategy? Which is your experience/suggestions about this matter?
Thanks
By Koekepan Tue May 16, 2023 4:49 pm
I don't start on Ableton (never been my DAW of choice), but I like to normalise my tracks, then use the Force's internal mixer controls to do gain management. I run everything before a set in rehearsal several times so that I know where the levels should be, and save the project as such. Then I use a mastering chain including a limiter and an EQ, just in case I need them at the venue. It's a good safety measure.
By Ton618 Thu May 18, 2023 11:39 am
Hi, thanks for your feedback.
Yes, you’re right, better to keep the recording level higher then managing track volumes with the internal mixer. Since I prefer to not use limiters on the single tracks I keep a margin of 2-3 dB (Peak) below “0”, in this way I should stay around 0dB on the master by summing the single tracks contributes. This is to keep the sound as cleaner as possibile before applying compression and limiting on the final stage.
In my experience starting from tracks already compressed has a negative impact on the final live output. May me just a subtle compression to avoid uncontrolled peaks could work anyway but I try to avoid it.
By Koekepan Thu May 18, 2023 2:01 pm
Limiters and other tools have their place, but they do alter the sound and often they're used as an effect to produce a particular impression. I think that unless you're trying for that sound (like a slammed kick) the right place for a limiter is at the end of the mastering chain.

Subtle compression is usually something that I put on live instruments where unplanned peaks are likely, or where I want to tame the sound such as in a guitar or vocals, to get a more level outcome. Honestly, most guitarists and vocalists already have compression in their pedal boards or effect units. The Force's audio tracks can achieve the same result.

But yes, the principle of keeping as much detail as possible for as long as possible is one with which I agree.