Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By HouseWithoutMouse Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:09 pm
How about a laptop? :)

One notable thing about the Force is the physical size and the lack of a battery. It's so big, I don't want to take it even to another room. Throwing it in a backbag for a trip is a ridiculous idea, it needs a separate case and some space on a table. Preferably a tilt stand as well. Roland SP404mk2 with a USB battery pack is OK for taking on a random trip, but the Force is not. (The SP is just very convoluted to use...)
By tanis Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:30 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:How about a laptop? :)

One notable thing about the Force is the physical size and the lack of a battery. It's so big, I don't want to take it even to another room. Throwing it in a backbag for a trip is a ridiculous idea, it needs a separate case.

A laptop and a controller, most probably :)

BTW I have just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_qIaFW ... hLcrqDARsd
That guy takes a quite interesting approach to building a song directly in the arranger view of the Force.
By tanis Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:32 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:How about a laptop? :)
Roland SP404mk2 with a USB battery pack is OK for taking on a random trip, but the Force is not. (The SP is just very convoluted to use...)

The MPC Live 2 is also super nice to carry around. I do that very often.
By B-Wise Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:46 pm
tanis wrote:
B-Wise wrote:You can go into the clip editor & copy all data & paste it into the arranger. You'll have to do it 1 clip at a time, but once you get fast on the Force it's not that bad.

But that does not give you flexibility. If I have a section that is repeating and I want to make a change to that section and see it reflected in all the places it is being used (a typical use case with a DAW), I will have to go over every single place and apply the same change. It can get really tedious.

Never said it did, I was just letting the guy know that there's a faster way to copy clips to arranger.

What you want would be very efficient & is something me & others have been asking for.
Oh well, until then we must use what we have....but not always how they were intended.

Most people to me uses the Force sequencer the way it was intended, which IMO is not the most efficient way. I'm work on something called the "Clip-Bank Method". I'll make a post a more detail post later, but the basic concept is manually adopting Ableton's Arrangement/Sessions view on the Force clips-matrix:

*Keep in mind each Force track has 999 scenes/clips & clips are automatically named after the track name & the scene/clip number, unless you give it an custom name. So a track named Kick1# will create a clip named Kick1# 1 on scene 1 & Kick1# 2 for scene 2 & Kick1# 999 for scene 999.
This important to know for using this method*

-Divide the clip-matrix with a row of blank-clips. You can keep them nameless or whatever. Put these blank-clips on row 8 at first. All the clips above it is part of the clip-bank & clips below are part of the "Pre-Arranger".

-Make your clips in the clip-bank at first as normal, but do your sequencing in the pre-arranger by copying clips from the clip-bank.
You can copy that blank row of clips at the end of this pre-arranger to make another pre-arranger & can have a bunch of arrangements going on like multiple variations of the intro or whatever. Also if you make a new clip while in the pre-arranger remember to copy it into the clip-bank & make sure it has the proper name & number.

-Then you can make a main pre-arrangement with all the best parts of all the pre-arrangers & tweak some more & then record it to the Arrranger & or the resampler.

Hope you get the idea. If not, wait until I make that more detailed post or video. It's still a work in progress, but just breaking the clip-matrix up like that really opens up a lot. Without it, I feel like your force to commit to using the powerful clip sequencer as a linear sequencer which defeats to purpose.
By tanis Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:47 pm
Hah! I've got your idea. You use the upper section of the clip-matrix to keep all the clips and their variations for each track.

And in the lower part of the clip-matrix you arrange copies of the clips you have above to create the sections of the arrangment. And then later on you record those sections into the real arrangment and eventually make some last minute tweaks.

That sounds smart.
By B-Wise Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:34 pm
tanis wrote:Hah! I've got your idea. You use the upper section of the clip-matrix to keep all the clips and their variations for each track.

And in the lower part of the clip-matrix you arrange copies of the clips you have above to create the sections of the arrangment. And then later on you record those sections into the real arrangment and eventually make some last minute tweaks.

That sounds smart.

Yeah that's basically it, tho it's still needs to be worked on, like last session, I realized that you can't change the color of the Arranger's clip track on the top of the clip-matrix, which sucks if you spent time creating marcos with the track number in the name. :WTF:

So I had to do Two tracks marcos & names over just to change the color. The track & pads will change but the Arranger clip will stay the same after you recorded to it & change the track color. This may be a bug but, I think it should have a direct option to change it like the track/pad color... It's always sometimes stupid that gets in the of smart ideas... Anybody ran into this & know how fix it?

When I saved 1 track by itself & loaded it back I was able to change the color but I didn’t test after recording something to it, but will soon.

Also, if you edit any Clip you'll have to copy/paste it any scene that use that clip which way faster than you'd think when your doing it with pads in Launch mode. The key is having a naming system that works for. Long clip names can hard to read, so I'm testing different ways to name stuff that makes sense. I save that for the future...

Anyway test out the clip-bank method & see if it works for you, especially after tweaking it more for you & please let me know if it works well or not for you & why so I can tweak it.
By J-Fly Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:28 pm
I've been using the Push 3 for a few months now. The one thing that really irks me is that you can't use the USB to import samples from a flash drive. They expect you to have some kind of constant connection/link to Ableton Live in order to transfer samples and projects. It just doesn't make sense. MPC is king. :worthy: