Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Balcazar Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:25 pm
I have a problem importing an Ableton file. I use 7 audio channels where I load stems, approximately one hour of audio per channel divided into many scenes, nothing is loaded to the FORCE RAM, everything goes in disk streaming and the project says that it consumes 70% of RAM, without using anything more than the audio channels yet, no inserts, no buses, no fx. Do you know what could be the reason for loading so much ram?

Thanks!
By Balcazar Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:35 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:How have you verified that the WAVs are actually being streamed and not loaded fully into RAM? I think it's possible that the samples are not actually in streaming mode/category.

In the menu, in the Project TAB, you can check wich samples are loaded into ram and wich samples are running from disk. There is nothing in the ram
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:58 am
The Force has all audio internally converted to 32 bit float data, so 7 hours of stereo material would need 44100 * 2 * 4 * 60 * 60 / (1024*1024*1024) = around 8 gigabytes of RAM. And a Force only has about 1 gigabyte of free RAM when you start with an empty project. So considering that, it's an achievement that your Ableton project loads at all. Right?

The Force only has free RAM for around 1 hour of stereo audio. Anything past that has to be streamed from disk.
By Balcazar Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:28 am
Thanks for your answers! The project runs without problems even with 70% of RAM used, I realized this situation when I wanted to put an EQ and I got a warning that RAM was almost full.

Again, nothing is loaded in RAM apparently, all the samples are on Disk Streaming and I have purged trying to release ram but in reality there is nothing to purge.

I saved the project to be a native Akai file thinking that it could be a solution and it took more than two hours to process and the result was the same... 70% of RAM used... but there are no samples loaded in RAM :(
At the moment I decided to split the project between an MPC live II and the Force to be able to execute it this weekend loading song by song between one and the other. Next week I will continue testing.

Cheers!
By HouseWithoutMouse Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:22 pm
I cannot reproduce this. I created an Ableton 9 project with 7 tracks, each with 6 clips, each with its own separate copy of a 10 minute WAV file, 44100 Hz 16 bit stereo. The whole project folder structure is 4.4 GB.

I loaded it into the Force, and RAM usage is at 1 %. All samples work. Though I didn't listen to the full 10 minutes of each one, it's 7 hours of material.

After loading the .ALS file, there's nothing in the MEMORY category of the project, all samples are under STREAMING. 42 WAV files.

Force Firmware version 3.2.3.

I did do a "collect all and save" to save the ALS project. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Ok, loaded once more, now it's 2 %

By Balcazar Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:54 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:I cannot reproduce this. I created an Ableton 9 project with 7 tracks, each with 6 clips, each with its own separate copy of a 10 minute WAV file, 44100 Hz 16 bit stereo. The whole project folder structure is 4.4 GB.

I loaded it into the Force, and RAM usage is at 1 %. All samples work. Though I didn't listen to the full 10 minutes of each one, it's 7 hours of material.

After loading the .ALS file, there's nothing in the MEMORY category of the project, all samples are under STREAMING. 42 WAV files.

Force Firmware version 3.2.3.

I did do a "collect all and save" to save the ALS project. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Ok, loaded once more, now it's 2 %

Maybe the problem is that I'm using shorter clips than the ones you have? They are songs that I cut into many loops (1 audio for each instrument, 7 instruments, approximately 15 scenes per song, 10 songs...) so maybe the problem is such a large number of files, even though they all appear in Streaming I don't understand why the RAM is overloaded.

Of general audio, what I have is 44 minutes, multiplied by the 7 instruments, it is 308 minutes. It's less than the amount of audio that you recreated... Next week I'll calmly do the tests to really find out what the problem is with my file. If you don't have that problem in FORCE, I think I shouldn't have it and it's a matter of some conflict in the Ableton file and the way it's exported... maybe something like that. Here I will let you know what is turning out

Thank you very much for helping!