Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By BigUncleBucks Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:58 pm
Hi all, hope you are well and thanks for some advice in advance.

I own a Force for almost a year. Absolutely love it BTW. I'm using it completely standalone after 20 years of mouse and Keyboard DAWs. Love not sitting at computer screen. Due to my workflow however, I am going to need to be on a DAW for mixing and using some VSTs.

My question is this:
If I purchase a SSL Big 6 and connect it directly to the Akai Force as an external soundcard and put the Akai Force in controller mode (is that correct mode where you can use the Force and Ableton simultaneously together) is the Big 6 going still work through the Force?

Is anyone using this workforce? Using the Big 6 specifically.

Any real.world.info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
By Koekepan Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:53 am
Seems that nobody else is using this exact blend of hardware, sorry.

That said, I don't think that the Force in Live Control Mode will act as a pass-through for the USB-attached devices. At least, nothing in the manual seems to indicate that. That said, it's worth a try, I suppose.

What's the worst that might happen? You have to plug the SSL into the computer?
By RedlionProductionz Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:15 pm
I've got a similar set up with a Force+Big6 combo.

If the Force is in controller mode and you are USB'd to it, you won't get any sound from your computer and Ableton unless your computer is TRS'd to any of the inputs. Basically, the audio interface capabilities will only work through the USB connection. So, I'd USB the Big 6 to my computer, USB the Force to the computer for controller mode, and connect the audio outputs of the Force to the inputs of the Big 6. That way you can use controller mode when you need. Then, switch to audio when you need to program on the Force or bring Force audio into Ableton.

Hope my mind dump makes sense and helps!
By Diezel Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:14 am
How did you make out with this set up? Have you tried mixing on the force and using the BSix for summing. (I would also use it for input)
Have you been able to keep the entire set up standalone?