Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By jamos Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:35 pm
I have decided that, after several years invested in learning the Live, I really need the Force for the kind of things that I want to do. I am interested in swapping instruments, probably with a little extra cash from my end. If anybody out there would prefer the MPC workflow to that of the Force, please get in touch with me. Umm, US/Canada only please.
By B-Wise Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:39 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:It may be worth clarifying that you are talking about MPC Live, not Ableton Live. (Dunno why anyone would want to do that swap though)

Well that the fact that the op said the Force can more of what they need, I thinks it's safe to assume the op is referring to the MPC Live.
But we still need more details in the ops work flow & why the Force is preferred?
By jamos Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:55 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:It may be worth clarifying that you are talking about MPC Live, not Ableton Live. (Dunno why anyone would want to do that swap though)

Yes, I could have been clear. MPC Live. As for the reasons... see below.
By jamos Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:10 pm
B-Wise wrote:But we still need more details in the ops work flow & why the Force is preferred?

My problem with the MPC has always been that you have to build songs vertically, then horizontally. If that makes sense. It's not designed for music that has different parts - typical song structures - the assumption is that you have static loops and mute them. And even that is a **** because you have to have a different sequence for each combination of mutes! I know you can break out of that, I have done that, but I feel like I'm fighting the system all the time.

The grid matrix in the Force seems like it lends itself to building a song using many different combinations of parts, on the fly; whereas in the MPC you have to know what you want, and build separate sequences for each possible combination, and then try them out. And then if you want to add something else, you have to add it, separately, in all those sequences. It drives me crazy.

I originally bought the Live solely as a drum machine, for which it works admirably; but as things get more complex, it becomes more cumbersome.
By jamos Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:12 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:I completely understand wanting a Force, but why would anyone swap the other way? :)

I get that. But I think I've seen comments from a few people who were disappointed in the Force because it is not MPC-like. That's who I'm looking for.
By Stevejaz Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:10 am
Day 4 with the Force, coming from MPC Live2 and loving it. I think maybe I'm coming from a similar mind set. I have enjoyed MPC for 2 years but never got past using it as a sketch pad. Cloned the SSD to a portable USB one and found everything opened on Force just as I would have hoped. (Never got into using sequences)
I intend keeping both. That's what they made credit cards for. LOL.
If I find I no longer use the MPC I'll sell it but just ordered a gig bag for both, along with deck saver for the Force at the same time I ordered the Force.
I can always take the Live2 fishing.
If you get a Force you won't regret it assuming you are in fact coming from the same place as me. As someone else said though I think finding a trade may be a long shot. The other option would be to just sell the MPC and put the cash towards a Force. You may even find a used one cheap enough. If money was not a problem though I'd suggest keeping both. At least in the short term.
MPC is better for chopping samples. Force is better for arranging songs, especially as a singer/guitarist.
By B-Wise Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:59 pm
Stevejaz wrote:MPC is better for chopping samples. Force is better for arranging songs, especially as a singer/guitarist.

How is the MPC better at chopping samples?

I know when doing manual/lazy chop on the MPC you can press any of the 16 pads & that chop will go there, but on the Force it puts the chop on the next pad. Which is cool for me. So, beside that what's the other MPC sampling advantages?
By Stevejaz Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:24 pm
B-Wise wrote:
Stevejaz wrote:MPC is better for chopping samples. Force is better for arranging songs, especially as a singer/guitarist.

How is the MPC better at chopping samples?

I know when doing manual/lazy chop on the MPC you can press any of the 16 pads & that chop will go there, but on the Force it puts the chop on the next pad. Which is cool for me. So, beside that what's the other MPC sampling advantages?

Probably just familiarity on my part then. Not that it's something I do that much. With the MPC I was looking for a glorified drum machine. Went on to wanting to use it as a DAW in a box, which of course steered me towards the Force. The main sample chopping Ive done on MPC is looking for brushes drum samples to make drum kits. I've yet to even load a sample in Force. Been busy learning to record audio on it.
It is something I've heard mentioned a lot and just assumed it to be true.
One thing I do notice in Youtube tutorials on both is that MPC tutorials are far more about sampling and sample chopping than Force ones. Force ones seem more focused on using VSTs Drum kits and Keygroup. Still a lack of anything very usable or informative re actual audio recording though. Even the manual's information on that is hard to find. I haven't found it yet. Just got it to work after a lot of trial and error. Still not even 100% repeatable on it.
Am I correct in assuming the only way I can make my own key groups from VSTs is via controller mode in MPC?
That, plus the obvious advantages of battery and speakers, is the main reason I would keep both.
As to the Force being better for recording and arranging guitar and vocals, I am totally convinced of that. I've achieved more in the last few days with a totally unknown Force, than in the preceding 2 years with MPC.
MPC is a great sketch pad though. Another reason I want to keep both.
Personally I will keep using the MPC for any sample chopping I may do.
By B-Wise Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:12 am
The Force & MPC have pretty much the same sampling engine, so there's no need to keep the MPC chopping. Plus the Force is way better for sampling since it has disk-streaming & 64 pads.
By tanis Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:23 pm
Stevejaz wrote:Day 4 with the Force, coming from MPC Live2 and loving it.

I am thinking about going through your same journey. How are things going after some more time playing with the Force?

I have been using the MPC Live 2 for quite some time now and never really got into using sequences to build songs that are closer to the traditional way of composing. I am also coming from a similar school as you as my main instrument is the guitar. I would love to hear if the Force worked the way you were expecting in the end.