Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Linus Gaddnas Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:50 pm
Yoyo.

Updated my force after a 1y hiatus and everything worked fine for about 5h, after which my Force just turned off and refused to turn on. Opened it up and the power pcb is burned out, some capacitors and other stuff. Going to try to fix it up a bit but I'm not hopeful, looks quite bad.

Is there a place in EU that sells replacement boards or does repairs on forces?
By HouseWithoutMouse Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:16 am
Any pictures of the burned parts? Are there some low quality components that are going to go bad on all Forces sooner or later, and should be replaced before that happens?
By Linus Gaddnas Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:25 am
Contacted Akai support, they just said though luck since its out of warranty, so no more help to be gained from them.

I'm not quite sure, I can provide some pics later when I'm back from holiday trip. One of the capacitors on the power side of the pcb is burned out so I'm a bit afraid that the problem is something else, not just a case of a bad capacitor.

The weird thing is that it didn't boot at all first, and then after I fiddled a bit with the charger it started and flickered like 4 times on and off and then it just poofed. The charger is showing 19.3V with my multimeter but its possible that under load it varies and cant hold 19v, that could explain the burned capacitor, need to measure with 3.4A load when I'm back.

So the good thing is that it did in fact get the power and the capacitor that got burned is at the beginning of the circuit so it could just be a case of a bad charger or maybe some voltage regulator that is the problem, hopefully the cpu is okay.
By Linus Gaddnas Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:27 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:Any pictures of the burned parts? Are there some low quality components that are going to go bad on all Forces sooner or later, and should be replaced before that happens?

What components in particular would that be? I didn't notice anything else obvious being off but could test and measure them if you got some examples. :)
By HouseWithoutMouse Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:54 am
I do not know about such things, but people who have given me a knowledgeable image of themselves have made me believe that sometimes manufacturers use low-quality components which will fail in much less time than might be expected and desired. "Capacitor" has been one word to refer to such components. And if such components are known in advance, they could be replaced before they fail.

I couldn't tell which one is a power PCB by looking, except probably it's located close to the power plug, and if it's a separate board, it's separare. And I have no idea how to tell a low quality capacitor from a good one, I tend to believe people who claim to have experience.
By SakisX Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:14 am
Take the PCB out to a TV repair shop . The technicians there are familiar with the electronics and can easily replace the burnt capacitors/diodes/resistors etc...
The problem is if parts of a whole circuit is burnt that can't be replaced easily (and can't be checked without a service manual)
By Zack Zerox Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:40 am
Linus Gaddnas wrote:Yoyo.

Updated my force after a 1y hiatus and everything worked fine for about 5h, after which my Force just turned off and refused to turn on. Opened it up and the power pcb is burned out, some capacitors and other stuff. Going to try to fix it up a bit but I'm not hopeful, looks quite bad.

Is there a place in EU that sells replacement boards or does repairs on forces?

Hoping you've had some luck with getting this sorted. Any good news?