Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By djspchless Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:08 pm
Hi everyone, I'm rather new to the Force and running firmware 3.3.0. I purchased it mainly to sequence external synths, drum machines, etc. but I can't seem to find something in the manual referencing this behavior:

Create midi track > edit track (displays ccs) > play Force pads while turning any cc knob > playing different notes on the Force's keyboard while turning a knob resets its value. I found that using an external keyboard plugged into midi in/usb to the force does not reset the knob value when playing different notes.

It's rather difficult to explain so I uploaded a video demonstrating. Any information is welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ubUmcd0JcGw
By B-Wise Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:46 pm
Did you use MIDI-Learn to assign those MIDI parameters?
If so, try assigning it using the tedious menu window way. I think there's a MIDI-Learn bug.

Something similar was happening to me months ago, but I don't know if playing the the Force pads reset the values, in my case turn a knob set by M-L would change the value, but then turning another knob & turning the M-L knob again would reset the value. Knobs that weren't set with M-L worked fine after turning another knob.

But who the Hell want to use the menu window to setup all them macros?

It makes the cool M-L feature useless. I just made 1 MIDI macro the slow way, made copies & renamed the knob how I wanted. I'll check to see if that's still the case in OS-330. I forgot all about that crap until this post.
Do you send a ticket to Akai? I made a post with the link, but here you go;
https://support.akaipro.com/en/support/tickets/new
By HouseWithoutMouse Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:12 pm
The same happens for me as well, Force software 3.2.3. It's the Q-links that are resetting, not the edit screen display directly. So when I turn a Q-link after that, then it will start from zero. Weird. BUT luckily this only happens in Screen knobs mode. If you use the MIDI knobs mode, then the Q-links don't reset.

I started thinking, why I haven't noticed this before. First I thought I haven't used the Q-links for controlling external MIDI devices, but... I think I have, and without problems. So I must have used the MIDI knobs mode, not Screen + track edit.

Using the Screen mode for MIDI control is kind of clunky anyway, because it only works in the one screen where you don't usually need to be in. But the down side of MIDI knobs mode is, you only have 16 controllable parameters, whereas in the track edit screen you have all 128 CCs. But not Pitch Bend, which you do have in knobs mode...

An important thing to remember with the Force is, whatever you get working easily, use that and be happy. Don't try to use broken things, and don't try to do anything about it. Useless things will remain useless. It makes no sense for an individual user to try to do anything about Akai. Use what works, there's a lot of working stuff as well.
By djspchless Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:24 pm
B-Wise wrote:Did you use MIDI-Learn to assign those MIDI parameters?
If so, try assigning it using the tedious menu window way. I think there's a MIDI-Learn bug.

Something similar was happening to me months ago, but I don't know if playing the the Force pads reset the values, in my case turn a knob set by M-L would change the value, but then turning another knob & turning the M-L knob again would reset the value. Knobs that weren't set with M-L worked fine after turning another knob.

But who the Hell want to use the menu window to setup all them macros?

It makes the cool M-L feature useless. I just made 1 MIDI macro the slow way, made copies & renamed the knob how I wanted. I'll check to see if that's still the case in OS-330. I forgot all about that crap until this post.
Do you send a ticket to Akai? I made a post with the link, but here you go;
https://support.akaipro.com/en/support/tickets/new

I assigned them by going to the edit mode of the midi track and on the top right there's an edit button to toggle on. From there if you tap one of the parameters it allows you to select from the full range. I'm checking out the MIDI macro way now and so far it seems a more decent way to do this anyway! Thanks for the reply.
By djspchless Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:30 pm
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:The same happens for me as well, Force software 3.2.3. It's the Q-links that are resetting, not the edit screen display directly. So when I turn a Q-link after that, then it will start from zero. Weird. BUT luckily this only happens in Screen knobs mode. If you use the MIDI knobs mode, then the Q-links don't reset.

I started thinking, why I haven't noticed this before. First I thought I haven't used the Q-links for controlling external MIDI devices, but... I think I have, and without problems. So I must have used the MIDI knobs mode, not Screen + track edit.

Using the Screen mode for MIDI control is kind of clunky anyway, because it only works in the one screen where you don't usually need to be in. But the down side of MIDI knobs mode is, you only have 16 controllable parameters, whereas in the track edit screen you have all 128 CCs. But not Pitch Bend, which you do have in knobs mode...

An important thing to remember with the Force is, whatever you get working easily, use that and be happy. Don't try to use broken things, and don't try to do anything about it. Useless things will remain useless. It makes no sense for an individual user to try to do anything about Akai. Use what works, there's a lot of working stuff as well.

Totally agree with that last paragraph! :) Ok, good to know it's probably firmware related and my Force isn't defective. Now messing around with macros seems a better option. I don't think I'll need more than 16 or 32 CCs and it seems to "behave" now :). AND echo "this only happens in Screen knobs mode". I forgot to mention that in my post. Thanks for the reply!
By B-Wise Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:56 pm
djspchless wrote:I assigned them by going to the edit mode of the midi track and on the top right there's an edit button to toggle on. From there if you tap one of the parameters it allows you to select from the full range. I'm checking out the MIDI macro way now and so far it seems a more decent way to do this anyway! Thanks for the reply.

OK, so you were using the tedious way which was how I "solved" my problem. This is a different bug than the 1 I ran into.
By Btboog Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:53 am
Did anyone ever figure out a solution to the original problem. I am using screen mode for the knobs on the midi track screen so I can use the q link knobs for all parameters/CCs for my external synths. Using the other modes only allows 16/32 CCs to be mapped to the qlinks.