Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Reader2 Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:28 pm
Hey all,

I’ve been a force user for years now. I’m a big fan of the device.

But I’m finding that it doesn’t deal with PC data like I want it to. Can you guys help me wrap my head around it?

Let me explain my current situation with all its variables. I hope to have a complete understanding of the situation…

I’m trying to simultaneously change presets on external gear that is being controlled by force. Note and CC data works perfectly in this setup. But PC data does not.

Here’s (one part of) what I have:

Paint Audio Midi Captain (usb) > Force
Force (din) > Oberheim Matrix 1000

The Midi Captain can send note data. The note data will make it through this setup, but PC data will not. I tried the same thing with a Beatstep, same result. I’m talking with Akai support, but I assume that the answer here is that Force will not “midi thru” any PC data sent to it.

In the preferences on Force, all I can do is use PC data to change tracks, or ignore it. The Midi Captain will indeed cause Force to change tracks when selected. (The manual says PC can also be selected for sequencer, but I don’t actually see that option.)

So PC sent to force will not be “midi thru-ed.” Major bummer.

How can Force itself send PC data to external gear?

I managed to set up a row of clips that sends PC data to all of the right places, over usb and din. When I launch row 1, my Juno DS (via usb), Oberheim Matrix-1000 (over din), and Lexicon MX400 reverb (over din) all perfectly change their presets.

But the clip continues to loop, resending the PC data. Not that the setup was ideal, but hitting launch and then stop makes this too clunky to use. I’m performing with other musicians without a click. The force is a nexus only in this case. I want to go from soundscape A to soundscape B with the push of a button.

So why can’t a macro just be set to send PC? Is it really only on clips? I can’t have a pad grid of various PC for various midi channels? Why is PC always treated so differently?

What can I do? Am I roadblocked?

If I put the midi captain in via din downstream of Force it will not work. Several synths communicate with Force via USB. I think the midi captain is a no-go. Damn.

Can I launch the clips in such a way that they do not loop? Can the midi captain work with Force to achieve my goals? Any other suggestions?

Thanks a bunch
By Reader2 Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:08 pm
Well I got a reply from Akai.

It was incorrect info though. I was told that the issue is that Force will not send midi data through its USB-A port (where I have external gear hooked up), only though the din port. The email said, “ The USB-A ports on the FORCE cannot send MIDI information to external synths. This is for USB flash drives or class-compliant MIDI devices such as USB keyboards, MIDI interfaces and USB-to-CV modules.”

That is incorrect. Force sends all midi data just fine over USB. My Microfreak is connected solely with USB to the Force and plays perfectly. It also reacts to PC data created by Force.

I tried using Force’s din port and it did not pass PC data through.

I’m impressed Akai was so responsive, but disappointed the answer was so wrong.

Anyone in this community want to confirm this for me?

force will relay MIDI data sent to it, except PC data, which it filters out. There is no way to send PC data through Force. It must be either generated by Force or introduced downstream.

My crappy workaround is that I’m buying a MIDI merge box and placing it just after Force. I’m rewiring my synths controlled by USB to use din. This adds more power needs, cables, and clutter.

If the Force relayed PC all I would need is the footpedal.

Why does it filter it out?
By stonecoldgroove Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:23 am
I’ve found this forum to be full of knowledgeable people and relevant data.
I also am a bit understanding that no one here is actually paid to solve my problems, so that tends to temper any feelings of entitlement I may have regarding the speediness of replies.

Force indeed does and will send PC’s from one device to another amidst its various ports.

From reading your saga I think your “roadblock” may be the preference where PC’s are set to “Track”:

I’ve had that particular preference disabled for a long time due to previous issues.

I suggest starting there by temporarily disabling it, turning Program Change to “Off”, and see how that affects the ability to send PC’s from USB to DIN the way you’re trying to do.

I am not certain of the potential interaction(s) between this and whatever MIDI Input preferences you have set:
I am not planning on discovering what those could be for you.

Regarding your 2nd “issue” of looping PC’s;

There is a way in clip edit to change a clips behavior from Loop to *Not* Loop so it only launches and plays when the scene is triggered.

Try looking for it.