Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By AllThingsAnalog Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:19 pm
Wassup Force Forum? I am a professional musician and extensively use the MPC Live II for my projects. I am digging the Force a lot especially with all its performance abilities. Does anyone have any experience using both in their workflow?
By Koekepan Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:36 pm
Welcome aboard.

I don't have both, but a few of us do (or some other MPC in the family). I'm sure that they'll check in soon.
By Koekepan Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:58 am
I'm happy to add some insights if I can. I find the that Force is a very usable studio master, and its ability to go beyond a simple song mode can make for good recordings in the studio.
By AllThingsAnalog Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:39 am
Koekepan, thanks for the response very insightful just to know someone has given solid feedback. I tried asking in the MPC forum and then my post got locked. Not sure why but what you added is very helpful.
By HouseWithoutMouse Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:52 am
The thread on the MPC forum probably got locked because of double posting on two forums.

obTopic: if I were to use an MPC together with a Force, it would probably be in a live set, to add elements that are independent of the Force's launch scenes and independently controllable, not scrolling out of view at any time. Kind of like a Novation Circuit is used in this video: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=217026

In other words, to split musical roles between separate independent devices. On that video, the idea is to use the Force mainly for drums and supporting instruments, and the Circuit for melodic, leading elements.

But then again, why use an MPC when a Circuit Tracks is cheaper, and seems to be more immediately controllable too.

From what I can gather, "project" switches happen instantaneously on a Circuit Tracks, so it allows a certain kind of flexibility not available on Akais. On MPC and Force, you don't load a new project in the middle of a set, unless you have two devices, and even then the loading device will be completely silent while it's loading. Maybe you could compare a Circuit project with an MPC Sequence... Actually that would make sense if sequence switches happen with no hickups. It's been awhile since I used a physical MPC.
By Lampdog Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:54 am
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:The thread on the MPC forum probably got locked because of double posting on two forums.

Exactly why I did it.
By B-Wise Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:36 pm
Lampdog wrote:
HouseWithoutMouse wrote:The thread on the MPC forum probably got locked because of double posting on two forums.

Exactly why I did it.

Some posts needs to be double posted. Shit be dead on the Force page, which sucks if your trying use this site for finding information. In some cases at least give people the option of which post gets blocked.
By Stevejaz Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:51 pm
While not a professional musician I've been around a long time as a hobbyist. I have both and both have their advantages. I have not yet tried using both together as I have been concentrating on my trio.
Together and as a solo performer, I would use their strengths. The pads on the Live2 and the sequencer on the Force.
I think Youngr on his Youtube channel shows the strength of the sequencer on the Force pretty well. To me it's reminiscent of Ableton Push or Maschine Jam. I know it's possible to do this stuff on the Live2 alone but to me it's too much menu diving for live performance. More a studio tool, which is kind of bazar for a self powered stand alone music production tool.
That's the real strength of the LIve2.
The Force is more like a studio version combined with a Push or Jam.
By Stevejaz Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:35 pm
AllThingsAnalog wrote:Stevejaz,

That was very very insightful! I am willing to go ahead and try it out alongside my Live II. How has your experience been experimenting with the Force?

I am primarily a guitarist who a few years back got sick of dealing with vocalist egos and thought, "it can't be that hard to do it myself". Consequently my experience with both the Live2 and the Force are likely to be far removed from some peoples. But then again, that's the main feature of gear like this, in my opinion. There are as many ways of using it as there are people using it. Well not quite that many maybe but you get my point. I have not used either to anywhere near it's full extent. I travel to the tropics and spend my days beach fishing 6 months a year. Yeah retirement sucks, I know. I have done little more than come up with basic 4-8 bar grooves on the Live2 when away and send them to my drummer, both with and without drum tracks, mainly as practice tools for him, but also as song ideas.
I bought the Force on my return home last year as an alternative to replacing my 11 year old MacBook Pro, which still works fine. (+ my Presonus RM16ai mixer works fine with it but will not work with anything newer)
I'd been toying with groove based midi machines since the release of 'Launchpad' and followed with Ableton Push then NI Maschine Mk3 & Jam so I was not new to this concept when buying the Live2. In fact before buying it I was tossing up between an Alesis SR18 and an MPC One. Went with the drum machine. Soon discovered however that I really wanted the Live2.
First use of the Force was to put together basic recordings of songs. Bass ,Drums, Guitar and vocals, which I'd send to the Drummer and Bass player, along with practice tracks less their part. I love the ease of use combining audio recordings with midi drums.
So as you see both have been used as practice/creation tools for a performing Trio, rather than as music production devices in their own right.

If I were to, or when I get around to it, use both together, I would run audio out from the Live2 into audio in in the Force.

I did, when travelling last year, pick up a guitar pedal to boost (clean) my guitar to record into the Live2 and use amp modelling etc in the MPC. This is unnecessary with the Force. The Force however gives a far more usable, loop based sequencing platform. Very similar to Ableton Push.

Was planning to spend a lot of time on return putting together, with mig welder, a home studio desk with Force as centre. Midi connected V-Drums, synths etc. Been concentrating on Trio instead though.

Hope that all helps. Feel free to drop me a message if you want to discus further, rather than choke up this forum.
Oh and one last point. The drum expansions available here are fantastic, especially the 'Session' ones with midi. Be warned though. Midi import and use in either Force or LIve2 is Clunky to say the least.
Really wish there was a bit of work done by Akai on improving this. It should all be Firmware update stuff too rather than buy new hardware.
Cheers Steve.